Chef's Hat Vintage Postcard


In the 16th century, bare - headed chefs were often imprisoned because of their freethinking and saucy ways.



Many chefs ( à la James Bond) went undercover. They hid in monasteries amongst priests and garbed themselves accordingly. Priests wore tall hats so... the chefs wore tall hats! The costume stuck.


I'll eat my hat if you can find out exactly why they were persecuted. I'm all googled out
.
Editor: Do you have a Texas ten gallon hat? Marie: I'll opt for a beanie!





Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards

4 cool cats commented:

Katie said...

Very interesting history of the chef's hat! I really like the old postcard of the chef lighting the fire -- love the beautiful pots (copper I assume?) and that gorgeous basket! No clue why they were persecuted; and no time to help you google as I have to get to work!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Ooh this is interesting. Will have to find an excuse to google persecuted chefs! Where do you find all these images from. A bottomless pit of goodies can be found on this blog.

Daryl said...

Why is it that only in songs is it ever 'raining men'?

:-Daryl

David said...

Marie, Not just a hat, but le chapeau. From what I seen on TV (the Food Network) the chef's hat is a thing of the past.