Victorian Footwear - Vintage Postcards


This one risque vintage postcard!



A Victorian lass would be awfully embarrassed if these lovely slippers peeped out from under her dress. How scandalous! Lace and ribbon embellished footwear was made to be hidden away.


The 'practical' Victorian boot was constructed with tough leather which took ages to break in. Woman generally tried to squeeze jumbo jet feet into petite shoes. That sounds like quite a blistery combination. Ouch!



During this era, a woman held an image of innocence and silence and was characterized as childish. I'll kick that nption with my converse!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards


7 cool cats commented:

Profile Not Available said...

I suppose bare feet weren't an option? ; )

Those boots look like torture in the correct size, let alone trying to squeeze into something smaller for the sake of appearances. Ugh!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Give me those black boots now. They are gorgeous. Not at all practical for chasing locals to photograph, but hell I'd look good.

Blog Bee said...

The first pair make me think of tea parties!

David said...

Speaking of shoes, Imelda Marcos was found to own 15 mink coats, 508 gowns, 888 handbags and 1060 pairs of shoes. How

Anonymous said...

oooo pretty lace shoes and no one gets to see them.

Anonymous said...

Balletrina Duckies should all wear the Lace and ribbon embellished footwear! *tweet*!

Laura said...

What a beautiful website! I added your widget to my blog at
ourscentedcottage.blogspot.com. I look forward to reading your site often.
Laura