Sugarcane Vintage Postcards


Sugarcane was grown in the Old South? Plantation owners always had a cherished plot devoted to cane.



The juice was extracted with horse or mule powered crushers. It was boiled in a flat pan until it was a savory syrup. Hot buttered biscuits with cane syrup sounds just ambrosial. Why do my posts always make me so hungry? 'Syrup time' was a social affair!


The community would gather at the mill to socialize and daydream about this savory sweetener.


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards

8 cool cats commented:

Suzanne said...

Yes...more stories (and photos) about cane. I wonder where the cane is grown these days?

- Suzanne

Jane Hards Photography said...

Is there a postcard subject you don't know about? These are just fascinating facts, and so diverting.

Anonymous said...

It is pretty delicious to chew on the sugar cane. Sometimes you can still just buy that on the streets of Southern China. My tooth hurts just thinking about it.

Daryl said...

Sugar Cane is still grown in Florida as well as in Cuba ...


Great postcards, Marie!

:-Daryl

Anonymous said...

I always learn a little history on your blog! I LOVE it! Thank you!

David said...

Marie, Where would we be without sugar. Slavery in the new world started on sugar cane plantations and moved to the cotton fields. Interesting post cards.

Unknown said...

Marie, It's midnight here and you just woke up my stomach:) I think I went to a sugar cane grove/plantation in Jamaica and sucked on a cane a while back. Delicious! I love the post card!

Sandy

Starman said...

Before I saw the complete picture, I thought it was asparagus.