My name is Jane and I am a Quailaholic


Jane Seymour, wife numero 3 of King Henry VIII of England, had a hankering for quails (and vintage postcards) all through her pregnancy.



Henry had the little birds shipped from Calais.

He ordered, 'fat quails which her Grace loveth very well, and longeth not a little for.'
A large consignment of quail did arrive to Jane's relief! (The image below reads Jane the Quene)


She gorged on them at every meal!

You can subscribe via email to this vintage postcard blog! Just tap in your email address and feed blitz will send the daily post straight to your inbox! Ohlala, I can't wait to see you again!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards

12 cool cats commented:

Anonymous said...

A nice post. On reflection she got the quail and I think lost her head.

M.K. said...

Interesting! I wonder...which vitamin or mineral was her baby hankering? Maybe she thought eating quail instead of chocolate would giver her a male heir?

Lori said...

Does that second picture say 46 lbs.?? How many quail does it take to make 46 pounds?

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie...

thanks for stopping by my place and joining the 'movement'. Love these postcards--they are amazing. I have had some strange cravings in my pregnancies but quail did not hit the menu.

Janet said...

My dad was a quail hunter...these birds are delicious, just small!

smilnsigh said...

What a precious blog you have here!!!

Miss Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh
Photos-City-Mine

Unknown said...

LOL! My husband hunts quails and I eat quail's eggs too:P I can't believe you have 300,000 post cards!!! Cool!

Marie Reed said...

Truth be told - only two of good old Henry's wives lost their heads: Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard. Henry figuratively lost his head over Jane Seymore while still married to Anne and Anne lost her head literally to make way for Jane to wed the son starved Henry. The plot thickens...

Pat said...

I an positively addicted to your blog (sorry I was absent two days--was staying at a friend's with no computer!) Your cards are terrific and I'm enriching my general knowledge with your writings!

David said...

Marie, I remember visiting the Tower of London and being told that one or more of Henry's wives were buried the the Tower's chapel in unmarked graves. Jane died shortly after child birth and avoided the ax. She is buried with Henry at Windsor Castle

Louis la Vache said...

Très interesant!

With your CA connections, you probably know the "Contra Costa" would mean those pears were probably raised on one of the old fruit orchards along the Sacramento River Delta in Eastern Contra Costa County - east of Antioch, perhaps around Brentwood.

Jane Hards Photography said...

The next time someone descibes me and my blog as mad, I'm going to point them in this direction. It's a breat of fresh air in the virtual. A whole new layer to humble Jane Seymour.