Vicky's Vintage Wedding Shoes



Queen Victoria wore these minuscule mules on her wedding day in 1840.




She wore a size 3! The woman whose name defines an age was only 5 feet tall and wore no nonsense shoes. Those leather soles are as flat a flounder. This Queen certainly wasn't a 'heel'.



These practical ribbon trimmed slippers were made by Gundry and Sons in London. This is the insole of the shoe. Was it covered by an odor eater on Victoria's big day?




Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards

7 cool cats commented:

Suzanne said...

Oh Marie! Her shoe is so lovely. She was so in love with her husband. Yes, she was a teeny, tiny powerhouse of a monarch.

I bought a vintage pair of cream colored satin shoes for my wedding. I had a hand crocheted vintage Gibson girl dress. The combination was awesome, but the shoes were actually too small and I suffered for beauty. Don't we all?

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

David said...

Marie, I've been looking for the perfect photo of Grace Kelly and I came across some photos of her wedding phots. Your post and the Grace Kelly photos - two great royal love stories.

Starman said...

Queen Victoria was only one of a long line of hypocrites. I have no respect for her at all.

Daryl said...

Oh .. I love them ... I want a pair like that ... so do you think they'd look good in a size 41?

:-Daryl

Lori said...

Five feet tall and flats -- that's my kind of role model!

Daryl said...

Come and get the Just Plain Fun to Read badge at my blog!

:-Daryl

Unknown said...

It seems like people were smaller back in the day! That shoe is just beautiful though!