An Apple Vintage Postcard a Day Keeps the Doctor Away


I have a few more apples up my sleeve.



Atalanta
is another character from ancient Greek Mythology.


She downright refused to get hitched. Her Father proclaimed that she would marry the man who outrun her in a footrace. She defeated many a suitor, who were then executed. Melanion was a swift witted rather than swift footed admirer of Atalanta. He begged Aphrodite to help him win fair Atalanta's hand. (Enter apples stage left)



The goddess of love gave him three shiny golden apples. Melanion dropped them along the race path to distract his lady love. He outran and then married the addled apple collecting Atalanta!



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards

7 cool cats commented:

Jane Hards Photography said...

One of my favourites of the Greek myths. Now if she had been dieting the silly moo would not have succombed to such blatant cheating!

M.K. said...

I just love your posts! They are quirky, educational, and funny. And I'm a mythology fan too.

Lori said...

She was the apple of his eye, heh heh! (It took me two cups of coffee to think of that.)

Pat said...

I'd forgotten this myth, too, and love reading your posts since you often make me remember things from my past. Gorgeous labels!

papel1 said...

I live 3 hours from Watsonville, CA. The label from there is great. This area is wonderful for the apple orchards. We love visiting the roadside stands, gift shops and bakeries where homemade apple pie is a must. Wonderful climate..warm days, but the nearby ocean brings in cool breezes.
Judy

Katie said...

It looks like the Diving Girl is wearing an early version of the new Speedo that all the Olympic hopefuls are wearing! Great image. I eat lost of produce from the Watsonville area! And what fun to learn about Atalanta. Maybe I need to star picking up the apples along the path of life to slow down a bit. I could use a quick witted Melanion!

Anonymous said...

Now that's one smart cookie..er...I mean apple!