Cricket Vintage Postcards


12 large crickets cost 72 cents at our local pet store! I picked up an aquarium full for my little boys (and myself).



In Chinese art the cricket symbolizes summer, courage, and a fighting spirit. The song of the little nocturnal insect is just enchanting.


Editor: Not that kind of Cricket! Marie: I like this vintage postcard too!


I'm not quite ready to throw out my thermometer but it is possible to calculate the temperature in Fahrenheit by adding 40 to the number of chirps produced in 15 seconds This formula is accurate to within a degree or so. The crickets probably shouldn't quit their day jobs though!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.
vintage postcards, old postcards , antique postcards


6 cool cats commented:

Unknown said...

I used to have crickets to feed to my White's tree frog. I loved the sound they made but I didn't like it when they escaped and hid in my basement:)

Daryl said...

Fabulous ..

If I can find a photo of a pea, I shall post it for you! I am 5 ft 10 inches in my bare feet ... so trust me that lighthouse made me feel small too!

:-Daryl

David said...

I remember my mother having something called a cricket box. It seems that the Chinese kept crickets in a small box, with holes, as a warning devise. If someone entered the room at night the crickets would stop chirping and warn the occupant.

Pat said...

Marie, I continue to be fascinated by not only your cards, but the wealth of information you provide. I'm going to try counting chirps and adding 40!

--Thanks for your "punny" comment on my blog today! Am thanking you, so you don't think I'm giving you the "brush off." Ha, ha.

Anonymous said...

Crickets are the most comforting things. The frogs and crickets crank up such a symphony every night that it's hard to hear anything else... but that's ok because they are the most important sound around.

Starman said...

If you can calculate the temperature by the chirps of a cricket, then all the crickets in France must be dead.