Penny Farthing

vintage postcards

I just read why this type of bike is called a penny farthing! The two British coins side by side certainly resemble the now nostalgic mode of transportation. How pictoral!



Now where are the brakes on this thing? vintage postcards

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

20 cool cats commented:

Webradio said...

Bonjour Marie, et merci de cette précision historique... Est-elle vraie ?

Cela me fait penser aux Beatles : Penny Lane... 1967, je crois ! C'est si loin...

Pat said...

I never tire of your blog and its wealth of info.... I've always wanted to try and ride one of these...

Maria said...

Ha, now I've got it: big wheel, small wheel, big coin, small coin!
Thanks, I did not know the English name of the Hochrad :)

dive said...

Cool, Marie!
If you pop across to my mum's blog you'll see she found a guy actually riding one of those things last weekend!
http://cakesandal.blogspot.com
/2008/09/henham-steam-rally.html

M.K. said...

And how do you mount that contraption? That looks like quite a balancing act.

Betsy Brock said...

Well, how about that! I learned something new today! They look a little scary to ride!...and no banana seat!

David said...

Marie, these velocipedes were all the rage in the late 1800's costing about $100 - a small fortune for most people. Another great post. David

Tess Kincaid said...

Falling off those bikes would really, really hurt!

ByLightOfMoon said...

I wonder how many are still around if on ewas in the contest last weekend, Thanks for the smiles, today!

Cyndi/ByLightOfMoon

MuseSwings said...

I just love your post's Marie! They are as educational as they are delightful. Now I get the penny farthing thing!
I don't know if they had brakes either - I'll bet the riders had a lot of breaks though!

Lori said...

I don't think I've ever seen a farthing before. What's that bird on it?

Anonymous said...

To brake or not to brake...that is the question. I understand that when these bikes first came out they came with brakes as standard equipment - however after a few too many people went free-flying over their handlebars - brakes became optional. Oh my!

Tanya Breese said...

clever comparison!

Daryl said...

Clever comparison!


:-Daryl

M.K. said...

Hi Marie - you've won an award on my blog - come see :)

Catherine said...

Où trouves tu toutes ces idées?
Vraiment inattendu, anecdotique, amusant et interessant.

Starman said...

I've always wondered how they get on the bike in the first place. I wonder if they used a step-stool or something?

soulbrush said...

aha i knew this...yippeee. i knew this! imagine trying to ride one of these?

Kathleen McQueen Wright said...

I wonder how many broken bones were the result of these velocipedes??

LOL

Mescrap said...

Such a big wheel ...just wonder how to climb up there.