Greek Milky Way Legend

vintage postcards
Hercules' Daddy - o was Zeus. His mortal mom (Alomene) was a classy dame but not divine.



Zeus decided that he would let the infant suckle on Hera's breast while she was catching some zzzzzz's. Hera's cage was rattled when she woke up and cast an eyeball on the unknown infant.
vintage postcards


She pushed baby Hercules away. Her milk spurt everywhere thus creating the milky way! vintage postcards


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

14 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Yuch. But I like the candy bar of the same name...and I adore Monsavon!

Webradio said...

Coucou Marie !
sympa la vache qui prend son bain...
Quant à Zeus ! Bofff !

M.K. said...

har har! Those legends are such a hoot! That's an especially good one :)

ayamlin said...

Hi!
I like this artist and I have the same postcard:)
I decorate some his postcard in my room:)

Tess Kincaid said...

I like that one! Milky Way...now I'm craving chocolate!

Lori said...

Projectile lactation is COOL!

David said...

Marie. what a great fable, the creation of the Milky Way...who knew?

Tanya Breese said...

Wow, who knew all this was the creation of the yummiest candy bars of all time? ;)

I love that little Monsavon ad, I have to have it!

Louis la Vache said...

Ah yes! "Louis" appreciates the bovine image! All favorable publicity pour les vaches is greatly appreciated!

MuseSwings said...

I didn't know that about the Milky Way! I used to just marvel at it when I could see it. Too much humidity and light in Florida. I can usually see a dozen stars or less. I know they're up there!

Daryl said...

Does Edith Hamilton know this? If you dont know who she was, Google her ...

:-Daryl

Starman said...

Ah, so that explains it.

Anonymous said...

Okay Marie...what else have you got up your sleeves. Never knew that one...great!

soulbrush said...

some of the things we believe!!