Birmingham, Alabama Vintage Postcard

vintage postcards


The policeman directing traffic in the center of this vintage postcard looks like he is holding a scepter! He is the king of crossing guards:) Maybe he'll whack you one if you try to jaywalk!



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

14 cool cats commented:

M.K. said...

To me, a crossing guard is the epitome of civilization: one puny human, controlling dozens of huge machines with one white glove, simply because everyone has silently agreed that he is THE BOSS. He looks so vulnerable standing there.

Lori said...

Dude would totally get smushed in Birmingham these days!! I bet that postcard predates Vulcan.

My mom grew up in B'ham. I've spent a lot of time in that very part of the city pictured in the postcard. (I started to say "on that very street corner", but that would give the wrong impression.)

Tess Kincaid said...

My kids thought it was so cool to be crossing guards in middle school!

Pat said...

Never been to Birmingham, but there's a photoblog from Birmingham that I check out regularly!

Virginia said...

That would be moi Bibi! HA Marie, merci beaucoup pour ce carte tres beau. ( Whew, I am sure all of your French readers are cringing at the massacre of your language). I will try and take a photo from that spot and send it to you! xxx V

Virginia said...

PS
I am sending your address to Magic City Moments. Maybe she will link back to you!

Daryl said...

Interesting contrasts


:-Daryl

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i like the crossing guards...we need more of them...they may even work better than stop lights. :)

Ming said...

Cool postcard. I always remember Alabama and the South in general as being one of the most beautiful places I've been to.

Katie said...

What a great postcard! Of course I immediately thought of Virginia; she's made me want to go to Birmingham!

Anonymous said...

I love the photo...the colors in actions are wonderful!

papel1 said...

Great old postcard. Not much traffic though.
Judy

soulbrush said...

do you know that the women who stand outside schools every day were nicknamed 'lollipop ladies' here in england...because the sign looks like a real lollipop...

Mescrap said...

This is just so cool ! I don't have this in my school time.