My Name is Queen Elizabeth and I am a Vanillaholic

vintage postcards
Queen Elizabeth I was a
vanillaholic!

In the last year of her life she wouldn't eat any food that wasn't flavoured with it. FYI Lizzy I ... Spinach and vanilla shouldn't be mixed.





Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

17 cool cats commented:

Maria said...

I do not know why she did this but I love vanilla, too, in cookies and in winter as perfumed candles.
Say, are you afraid of Gollum and his friends? Sometimes I walk through the streets and wonder how many helpful suggestions for Hollywood's creatures decorate our wells or houses in Vienna... :)

Rosie said...

Oh but who could blame her for such an addiction?

Betsy Brock said...

Everything flavored with it? Hmmmm..I love vanilla, but can think of a lot of foods that wouldn't be complimented very well with it! LOL!

Tess Kincaid said...

That is odd. She probably started a huge fad with her obsession!

ayamlin said...

hello marie!
I'm coming up with an idea!
If you feel like it, can you exchange some postcards each other?

Lori said...

It looks like Liz is holding a boquet of Hanes sweat socks.

My kids would totally do the vanilla spinach thing. As long as it had ketchup on it too.

soulbrush said...

yuk...but i do adore her face, she was so unusual. hugs.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

its my first visit...and me and the Queen have a little in common, but only in coffee! i am a hazelnut-a-holic. love it in my coffee...and candles...and car scents. yum.

Daryl said...

Vanilla .. smooth .. but why not w/spinach?


:-Daryl

Oleanderman said...

Ah, but she needed a little sweetening though, didn't she...

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine eating everything flavored with vanilla. Did she have a very restricted diet that last year? Maybe no meat or vegetables?

M.K. said...

This was probably one of those fatal, genetic mental conditions afflicting the British royalty. I do, however, identify with her, except my flavor would be chocolate. There are some evenings when I just need a good dose of chocolate, and more chocolate.

Mescrap said...

Ya. I love vanilla ice-cream & cake. But wouldn't it very weird it everything is in vanila flavour.

MuseSwings said...

Interesting! I love the scent and taste of vanilla - but I often use Grand Marnier as the flavoring agent instead of vanilla. I wouldn't like either of them on everything - although Grand Marnier might taste just a bit better on the spinach....

Rob said...

Vanilla is a wonderful spice. Simple vanilla ice cream flavored with amarena sherries, chocolate maybe. Not sure abut vanilla on a steak, though. ;)

Louis la Vache said...

Ah, Marie - a spinach-vanilla milkshake would be JUST the thing for you!

"Louis" added a link to this blog at his. (He has a link to St. Fargeau there already.)

Anonymous said...

Yet another interesting fact about Queen EI that I hadn't yet digested. I did know that she had a tremendous sweet tooth and devoured sweets constantly. Sadly, her desire for sugar resulted in rotted/missing teeth - and Elizabeth ended up stuffing her mouth with rags to fill out her cheeks when receiving guests at court. Poor Elizabeth, I bet she didn't floss either...Marie!