Toilet Seat Artist

vintage postcards

This is King Jean II (1319 - 64) The court painter, Girard D'Orleans, was hired as the official toilet seat painter. King Jean liked his potty pretty. It sounds like quite the bum job. (get it?)

I am in Germany for 2 more days but will be back in the commenting saddle again after that:)
vintage postcards

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.king

12 cool cats commented:

Ming said...

Ewww! I heard some celebrities also have murals painted in their bathrooms!

Mescrap said...

Hope you have a nice trip.

I've tagged you. Kindly refer to my postcard blog.

Webradio said...

Hello Marie !
Always nice photo...
Thank for this part of History about Jean II...

Good travel in Germany.
See You later.

Pat said...

Ha, ha! I notice it was King JOHN that hired him.... Did the painter work for life, or did he get "canned?"

Unknown said...

I envy that you can just skip over to Germany..have fun! Thanks also for your sweet comment on my blog! What an interesting job a person can have: to paint toilet seats!

Sand xox

soulbrush said...

ha ha he can come and make my potty pretty anytime.
do you do this travelling for your job? or just pleasure?

Vodka Mom said...

I always like to sit on fine art when I take a ****.Oops, real women don't ***, do they?

Starman said...

I wonder how often he painted the can. Doesn't seem like a full-time job.

Tanya Breese said...

LOL, too funny!

Sparky said...

I like a pretty potty too but I decorated the southern way: with cheap curtains and pictures from Wal-Mart. Hadn't thought about painting the toilet seat. [giggle] ♥ ∞

Daryl said...

Funny ...

Travel safe!


:-Daryl

Anonymous said...

I am positive that I have seen painted toilet seats at arts and crafts shows. Didn't pick one up but I guess the idea is still alive and well.