Pemberton's French Wine Coca

vintage postcards

Coca Cola was originally called Pemberton's French Wine Coca! The wine and cocaine were knocked out of the recipe during prohibition. Isn't this image nightmarish? I won't sleep for weeks. Eeeeeeek! vintage postcards


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS
vintage postcards

15 cool cats commented:

Anonymous said...

With a coke you can even survive in Marocco while your teeth hurt.

Webradio said...

L'affiche est jolie mais le coca cola, ce n'est pas bon...

Tu as de ces trouvailles dis donc...

Brooks said...

I just love your site. I love old postcards! thanks so much for stopping by. Will be blogging baout popcorn balls and fried green tomatoes this week!
Thanks!

Jane Hards Photography said...

The image is just too creepy. The giant babay head is just wrong. Pass me the wine without the cloke to soothe my fears.

Vodka Mom said...

Maintenant, vous êtes allé et m'a fait soif! I love Coca-Cola!

thanks!

Pat said...

Well, now I understand why some people I know mix red wine with Coke. No kidding. I thought this was horrendous, but now I see that they are perhaps "old school!"

MuseSwings said...

Those old time drinks had some soothing power, didn't they!

Tess Kincaid said...

It IS scary! Whose hand is that?

Oleanderman said...

Makes me think of the Pillsbury Doughboy in Ghostbusters... And yeah, whose hand is that?!

soulbrush said...

yikes, now i know why the stuff rots the teeth.

ayamlin said...

Hello marie!
I didn't know Coca cola's real story!
by the way I have the same stamp as your card on the top of your blog!

Tanya Breese said...

That is a pretty creepy guy!

Starman said...

Funny how most dislike the ad.

Lori said...

Yeah, that little guy was evidently drinking a pre-prohibition Coke. With an extra dash of coke. 8O

Mescrap said...

Didn't realise the real name of the coca-cola .