Stapler History

vintage postcards

Let's geek out:) The first machine for fastening papers together comes from 18th century France. vintage postcards

It was developed for the exclusive use of King Louis XV . The ornate handmade staples for this device were made of gold and encrusted with jewels. They were also stamped with the royal court's insignia!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS
vintage postcards

17 cool cats commented:

MuseSwings said...

His outfit looks like a stapler. Very interesting post as always!!

Ming said...

That does sound fancy! I wonder if those got stuck in the carpet all the time too.

Webradio said...

Louis XV ? Il était mignon ce roi, n'est-ce-pas ?
Belle affiche !

P.S. Est-ce-que la bière est bonne pour Toi ???

Pat said...

You know, it's amazing how many inventions the French came up with, from canning to staplers! Google "famous French inventors" sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

Tanya Breese said...

I bet it was better quality than WalMart staplers!

Betsy Brock said...

Wow...my staples suddenly seem dull and uninteresting!

Katie said...

I'll feel so regal when I next use my stapler! Can't wait to go through your archive for the last month; I've missed your daily postcards!!

Starman said...

Ce blog en Français est different. Pourquoi?

papel1 said...

Maybe I had better look for very old staples while shopping in antique or better yet junk stores! A good excuse to shop in France!
Judy
Postcards Plus

Tess Kincaid said...

Veddy intadesting.

Lori said...

What a coincidence, my Will was looking for a stapler this morning. Someone probably stole it thinking it had gold & jewels inside.

Vodka Mom said...

That was a great bit of trivia!!! Now, if I could only find MY stapler.......

Daryl said...

My late dad, before he went into his own business, worked for many many years as the NE Regional Manager for Ace Fastener .. which was a division of Swingline .. staplers were something we had at home and never thought about ... this is very interesting .. I bet dad knew this ...

:-Daryl

Sparky said...

Hey, I want a stapler made of gold with jewels too! Makes my black Stanley Bostitch seem really dull! :o) ♥ ∞

Starman said...

So that's how he keeps that outfit on.

soulbrush said...

now this is truly new to me, i believed the stapler much more modern!

Unknown said...

I love funny historical tidbits! I am a social studies teacher.