Bobbing for Vintage Postcards

vintage postcards


The jolly game ducking or bobbing for apples originated in England during the reign of King Henry VII. Apples were symbols of love and fertility. The first one to catch an apple would be the next to get hitched! Granny Smith anybody? vintage postcards

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.adtage p

17 cool cats commented:

Webradio said...

Bonsoir Marie... Tu es en avance pour Halloween...
Sourire à Toi...


Euh, pour hier, c'est quoi WII ???

M.K. said...

Hm. I bet red delicious would fortell a romantic match. But a sour Granny Smith?...

Ming said...

Hahaha! What if you just wanna eat an apple!

Marie Reed said...

Webradio - You're right! I am too early for Halloween! The images are too kooky for me to pass up though :)

Pat said...

Love and fertility? When I was a KID we bobbed for apples! It was fun anyway, if not romantic!

Vodka Mom said...

that is a cool Halloween fact! - and an adorable postcard! (love my new header...)

Tess Kincaid said...

I love this vintage card! I remember bobbing for apples when I was a girl. The water would get a little swampy after a few hours.

Lori said...

I'd never heard it called "ducking" for apples before. It gives me a mental image of throwing apples at people while they try to dodge. Fun! :)

papel1 said...

Love the postcard, and I have always liked Halloween.
Judy

Starman said...

I wonder if they called it 'ducking' because one looks like a duck going after something in the water?

Daryl said...

I did love Grannys til I met the Honey Crisp ... sigh .. soooooo good

And I love this postcard and the factoid you share ....

:-Daryl

Mescrap said...

Wow ! Love this informative detail.

Betsy Brock said...

Congratulations on the website! It looks wonderful! You need to tell me how to pronouce 'cpaphil' correctly! I know I'm saying it wrong!

Unknown said...

I had no idea that people bobbed for apples because they represented love and fertility! I love all the knowledge that comes with your fabulous post cards:)

Sandy

Oleanderman said...

Ah, that explains a lot - I never did that and am therefore single. I shal lchuck some apples in our local fountain!

Anonymous said...

I was never very good at bobbing for apples. It is much harder than it looks!

soulbrush said...

ha ha the apple matchmaker!