Vintage German Bratwurst - PFF!


I only seem to blog about food! This postcard from 1954 features a proud butcher hawking his meaty wares in Frankfurt, Germany There are 40 official kinds of bratwurst here in the land of bubbly beer and scrumptious sausage. The word 'brat' actually comes from old German and means chopped up meat. They certainly are delish grilled up and slathered with mustard:) Guten Appetit!



W
elcome to this weeks Postcard Friendship Friday! If you're visiting and would like to join in the fun we would be thrilled;) It's easy! All you need to do is:

1. Have a blast with this mail theme! Examples include: any type of postcard, a photo of a mailbox, mailman, a stamp image, postcard altered art, or simply a photo of something that you find 'Postcard Perfect' etc etc etc!
2. Link in with Mr.Linky at the bottom of this post
3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what a blog party is all about!
4. Link back to the party from your post so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is talking about today! Please grab the badge if you'd like to add a bit of PFF colour to your post:)

38 cool cats commented:

Daryl said...

L'Chaim!

MrCachet said...

Done over an open fire - Priceless.

Virginia said...

Yummo! Glad you are digging your new digs!
V

Irene said...

O.K. I need to know why and when you moved. Did I miss that post? Love the "Brats" hanging like that. My husband and I made our own Kielbasa for our wedding some 32 years ago, I can't believe we did that. My dad's friend built a smoke house in my mother's backyard and we grinded and stuffed till the smoke house was full. What a lot of work. So seeing those Brats hanging brings back memories of a time I had more energy.

Maggi said...

I love bratwurst, yumm-o!

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

ummm ummmm good! That's okay if you blog about food...you mention food, I'm there! ;)
Love this little card!
everything vintage

Clueless in Boston said...

Anything with mustard is good as far as I'm concerned. Love the mustache on the butcher; it looks like one the Kaiser wore:)

Wiregrass Steve said...

Mmmmmm, brats and a good lager. What a great combo.

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Bratwurst is the wurst!

fortuitous faery said...

speaking of bratwurst, i just bought a pack of that german sausage from our local aldi store. i had imagined my first bratwurst to be consumed in europe, but these are tough times for me.

Starman said...

When I was in Germany (a million of so years ago) one of my most favorite things was to stop at a little stand and get a bratwurst mit brot. I had one in the underground mall in the bahnhof in Frankfurt a couple of years ago, but it just wasn't the same. And it seemed a lot smaller, too.

dmarks said...

That's quite a meaty subject for a postcard!

Sheila said...

Yum, oh yum, I love German sausages!

Cezar and Léia said...

Delicious!I think it's perfect in B&W!
Léia

maryt/theteach said...

I have to say what everybody else says, "Yum" for the brats. My husbands whole family was in the butcher business and I do remember the sausage hanging up over the cases. I must have missed the post about your moving too, Marie... :)

Postcardy said...

I like bratwurst and it is quite popular here too. I hope they don't still hang the sausage up like that--it doesn't look very sanitary.

Chris Overstreet said...

You're just not going to give your tummy any rest, are you?

ChaChaneen said...

Lurve the sausages! Yummy! Sounds good right now with some AuGratin potatos... dinner this weekend... sausage with potatos! ha ha Have a great Friday my beautiful friend!

Paul van Yperen said...

Thanks Marie. An interesting postcard and story. In the Netherlands we also know the word braden which means baking for a long time - in a pan but also in the sun.

Greetings from Amsterdam.

Pat said...

In Seattle every year, I believe, there's a 'Wurst Festival,' which people lovingly call the Worst Festival, but it's really good!

RA said...

This post reminds me of our days in Germany. Danke schoen. Ich wuensche Dir einen Guten Tag :)

Betsy Brock said...

Yum! We love our brats simmered in beer before we put them on the grill! Mmmmm!

Aimee said...

Great card! Reminds me of when my grandparents and parents used to make their own sausage.

Margo said...

omg, it's lunch time! I'm starving after reading this post (and finally posting mine :) Happy PFF!

Blogaire said...

Hi Marie, what a wonderful card. It captures that period in the 1950's so beautifully. Bratwurst SOUNDS unappetizing to an English speaker but I bet they are delicious.

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, have a lovely weekend.

Love, Hugs & Tea
Duchess ♥♥♥

Unknown said...

Lovely card! Have a sweet Sunday!x

Cynthia Pittmann said...

What that gives a completely new meaning to "brat"! Hope all is well with you, Marie.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Great card! YUMMY!

Beth Niquette said...

Wonderful post, Marie! I missed PFF this time around because I've been so busy with getting Dad and Mom's place ready for them to return home after their accident.

I'll be back week after next--next weekend they get to go home and there's still much to do before they get there. ((hugs)) It is so nice to see PFF back up and running1

Janine said...

Dear Marie,
being a Germn I should have known about the 40 dufferent sausages,
but I didn´t know, that tere are so much.
Thank you for telling me.
I might have one for dinner today
;0) Have a good week.

HereBeDragons said...

Vintage postcards are so fun! A slice of life from what seems like another world.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

MMMM... Danke!

My dad's family are German... Hmmm, I think I'm grilling brats for dinner tonight. :o)

oh...so reading Virginia and then Irene's comments...was your move a far one? hope you are settled in.

Blessings & aloha!

claude said...

Hello Marie !
I just got a bad last week. I lost my Dad.
Germany is the sausage country as France is the cheeze one.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

...just thought I'd share...we had our grilled beer brats tonight! Thanks for the "power of suggestions!" haha

Blessings & aloha!

Linda said...

As the Granddaughter of a German/Polish Butcher and part of a family that has owned the same butcher shop in a small Polish town for close to 200 years, I greatly appreciated this fun postcard! :)

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello darling, please forgive me for not visiting your lovely blog this week… life was very hectic at Rose Tea Cottage!!! Hopefully things will calm down this coming week.

Have a sweet and lovely weekend.

Love & Hugs
Duchess ♥ ♥ ♥

Nishant said...

Glad you are digging your new digs
Web hosting india