Pink Clouds and an Outraged Toothfairy



Cotton candy was originally called Fairy Floss. The toothfairy must have been seriously against this appellation. The pink cloud of sugar was first introduced to the world in 1904 at the St. Louis World's Fair. It was a hit! 68,655 boxes sold at 0.25 cents a pop. That was a pretty hefty price at the time!



Cotton candy and the circus are certainly synonymous sooo here's a vintage Barnum and Bailey postcard that is best enjoyed embiggened:)

32 cool cats commented:

Polly Forns said...

I remember making cotton candy at an open-air festival with the wind blowing. Man, was I ever a sticky mess before the day was done! cotton candy in my hair, in my ears, all over my clothes. Nope, never volunteered for THAT job again! You always make me smile :)

Katie said...

I've just gone into sugar shock looking at that cotton candy! Love the old circus postcard too.

ChaChaneen said...

Oh my stars I am totally wanting this right now! Lol. And pink is the best color! Marie you are so sweet you give us a cavity!

R.C.Snellman said...

wowwww...remembers me about the old days when I went to the market, how exciting that was, all kind of tents and the sellers that could sell anything ( for a reasonable price) and the Pink Clouds, had to have one every time, still remember it like yesterday how sticky they where...the face was full of sugar after the market day and we didn't give the Toothfairy even the slightest thought...LOL.

Unknown said...

Yummy! That reminds me of my sister and I thinking that pink fiberglass was cotton candy and licking it. Yuck!

claude said...

Hello marie !
C'est bon la barbe à papa !!!

Floss said...

Interesting - it's still called Candy Floss in the UK! And, as Claude has mentioned above, 'Papa's Beard' in French - euch!

Cezar and Léia said...

Oh so many lovely thoughts about my childhood! Thanks dear Marie!
Beautiful and yummy post today!
Léia :)

MrCachet said...

For some reason, I always thought that the Cotton Candy we got at the Fair was better than we got at the Circus.

Maggi said...

I L-O-V-E cotton candy!

Betsy Brock said...

Wow...that's a big bunch of floss! :)

I'm looking for the bearded lady in the circus pic! I think I see her! ha-ha!

Job Recruiter said...

My kids love cotton candy. Every time we went into amusement park they don't forget to buy some cotton candy. I was amazed of how big is the cotton candy in your pic. Thanks for sharing the history of the cotton candy. lol.

maryt/theteach said...

Wow, marie! Haven't EVER seen so much cotton candy! :)

Irene said...

Love the enbiggened postcard and cotton candy.

pinkglitterfae said...

When I saw your first picture I thought it was a massive, man-sized hunk of cotton candy, lol! then I realized it was all in the way the photo was shot..too cool :-)

Daryl said...

Cotton candy is fun but way too sweet for me and always a surprise to find it literally melt in my mouth

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

Wow! Cotton Candy has been around a long time. I always thought the pink tasted better than the blue.
I love that old postcard.

Iris

ByLightOfMoon said...

Wow,

I went to our State Fair last night and now it comes in a bag, Oh, for the Good ol' days when you could see it spun!

But, I ate the whole bag! Shame on me!

Smiles, Cyndi

Anonymous said...

I love to watch cotton candy being made. It's called Grandpa's Beard here, I think.

(Hey, Marie! I typed in everything correctly off my Google account, and the comment box won't let me leave a comment. It's me, Bibi!)

Brenda said...

I LOVE the old circus postcard! - my collection is totally jealous :D

tapirgal said...

A fun photo and a nice piece of history. Great job, as always!

Unknown said...

Didn't waffle cones start at the St. Louis World Fair? Of the two choices, I pick waffle cones!

Postcardy said...

This is what my MSN email shows when you leave a comment:
Marie Reed '<'noreply-comment@blogger.com'>'
so I don't think I can reply. I do have my email address set up but it is not Gmail, and that may be why I can't reply to emailed comments from blogger.

Sparky said...

I love cotton candy but haven't had it for years. I would probably go into sugar overdose if I did. [giggle] :)

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello darling, thanks for the visit and the link. Initially I did have my email open to bloggers; however, soon after I started getting nasty emails, so I deleted the option. But I just made the option available again...just for you my helpful, kind and darling blogger friend.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Clytie said...

What a great picture of cotton candy! I always loved it as a child, not that I got much. Things changed when my kids got ahold of blue cotton candy that tasted like bubble gum. And I thought pink was messy!!!

Joie said...

my first happy childhood memory involves cotton candy!
c-o-t-t-o-n-c-a-n-d-y!!!!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

YUM! My son would go nuts if he saw all that cotton candy.

Beth Niquette said...

Suddenly I'm starved for that suggary treat. Argh! I have a hankerin' for that pink cotten candy. (grin)

Diamond said...

That St. Louis World's Fair in 1904 has to be one of the greatest events ever! All of the new foods that were introduced and still loved today.

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, I came by to thank you for your regular visits … you are a good friend. Today was a gorgeous day and I hope that it will stay sunny the entire weekend. I wish you a lovely and sunny weekend.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Ah!!! Yumm! I love cotton candy too! (in spite of being a dental hygienist! I will be the first to buy some!)

Blessings & Aloha!