More Cheese Please


White House historians assert that U.S.president Andrew Jackson held an open house party where a 1,400 lb (635 kg) block of Cheddar cheese was served as a refreshment. President Andy had a gut of steel! Pass the crackers.

I swoon for adverts from the 1940's. Take me back to the bygone days when illustrations were used instead of photos:)

25 cool cats commented:

Sheila said...

I've always wondered why Cheddar hasn't protected its name in the same way as, for instance, champagne. Cheddar seems to be made the world over and I wonder how the tastes vary. Quite considerably, I imagine.

Sheila said...

PS. Good to see you back in action! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello sweet Marie, how are you!
This post has everything delicious and the story is very interesting as well!I liked this illustration a lot!
Please forgive our absence, we were travelling again and now I have a lot of laundry to do ! :)
Have a great week and take care okay!
Hugs from Luxembourg
mommy Léia and Luna

By the way, Marina is so sorry about her absence at PFF as well.She just started the new school here and everything is new for her and she is at school all day long.Anyway we hope that soon she can be able to return to do her collages and show beautiful postcards in your meme!
God bless you!

MrCachet said...

I reserve my swooning for advertisements a bit older than the Forties, Marie. The artists from 1890-1940 were more than craftsmen. By the Forties with some of the advertising dollars being spent on radio, companies were more focused on quantity instead of quality when it came to advertising. These Kraft ads were colorful, however!

Floss said...

Those adverts are so evocative! Like your new blog name, Post Lady!

Maggi said...

I love vintage food illustrations. Sometimes the food looked amazing and sometimes it look disgusting! lol

Daryl said...

I love good sharp cheddar .. but Kraft sadly is not even real cheese but a cheese food/product ... I dont even want to know what its made of ...

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I love vintage illustrations. Mmmm...delicious.

Lowell said...

This is right out of my childhood! Ah, memories!

Duchess of Tea said...

Oh! I love cheese too. Darling, I have missed your visits!!! Hope your day turns out to be a lovely one.

Love, Hugs & Tea
Duchess

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh... is it just me and the moment? or are your follower pics missing?

and I do love Kermit...but have been meaning to say, I love your profile pic of the real you :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

Reader Wil said...

Hi Marie! I love cheese no matter what kind of cheese: cheddar, or the Dutch Gouda or the French cheeses. I also love these old posters and picture postcards! Thank you!

Postcardy said...

I like it sharp. I like old ad illustrations from 1940s and 1950s too.

Rune Eide said...

I think I'll stay with the crackers...

Irene said...

Hi Marie: Good to see you in action. Cheese is such a tasty topic. Just the other day my husband's aunt was talking about making "John's Day" Cheese. I'm not quite sure what that entails, but she does it from scratch, I'm sure I've eaten it, but... John's Day is celebrated in early/mid June, with a huge bonfire and girls weaving daisy wreaths for their heads, and then setting them off in the river from whence your betrothed will come, what does this have to do with cheese not much I suppose. Great post.

EG CameraGirl said...

I agree that the illustrations used in 1940s ads have a certain charm that photos do not.

Yes, that certainly was a HUGE block of cheese. ;-)

Postcardy said...

Do you like vintage comics? I have a new blog:

http://postcardfunnies.blogspot.com/

They are all kind of cheesy.

Mandala Michelle said...

Cheese is good on everything and with everything. : )

Aimee said...

Another cheese postcard! Love it, but your blog always makes me hungry!!

Katie said...

Mmmm, Velveeta. Great vintage ad! Almost makes me want to bring Velveeta to Paris with me next month. Ok just kidding. Great to see you back!

Clueless in Boston said...

I like the older adverts too, they definitely have a great look. Love your new name, it is very appropriate.

Unknown said...

Cheese is fine with me but not the strong tasting ones, in general.

Job Recruiter said...

I love cheese in everything I eat. Especially in pasta and spaghetti. Also in bread. Hmmm..yummy!

Grace said...

This vintage ads are wonderful and make great framed pictures in a kitchen area. Fun posts

Leah Kleylein said...

oh those recipes on that ad are priceless! amazing how tastes change! :-)