Share a Pear



This basket is brimming with pears! Romans apparently didn't enjoy this pomaceous fruit raw. At least 3 dozen different types of pears were cultivated, according to Pliny's Naturalis Historia, yet they were always stewed before eaten.Chomp! I'd rather sink my teeth into a ripe and crunchy pear:) Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae french vintage postcard

16 cool cats commented:

Postcardy said...

My mother liked canned pears--I didn't and still don't.

Janine said...

I was ure you live in France, but since you life in Germany...
Alles Gute und bis bald ;0)

steviewren said...

I haven't had a fresh pear in a long time...it sounds really good.

steviewren said...

BTW, when did you move to Germany...I missed that!

Cezar and Léia said...

Cute and hard workers ladies!
Fabulous post card!
Have a great week dear Marie
Léia :)

Sheila said...

I like pears in any way. This year we have a bumper harvest!

MrCachet said...

My wife and I picked a pint of Alpine strawberries this AM. YUM. And they're still blooming. We live almost a mile high, so the Alpine variety is pretty apt. Pears? They won't grow here, although we do enjoy pears whether they're relatively fresh or even canned.

Beth Niquette said...

I'm with you! A pear plucked from the tree is the best way to eat 'em!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I love fresh pears! What an interesting fact.

Joie said...

Thanks for stopping by and the lovely comment. I enjoy your blog very much.

Mescrap said...

I love fresh pear, sweet & crunchy.

Sparky said...

I don't like pears, but planted several out back anyway. The deer love them and I enjoy fresh vension. ;)

Irene said...

I use to can baskets and baskets of pears for my son, he could eat them by the jars full in the winter, I think he still would, but I just don't seem to find the time to do this anymore. I don't particularly like pears, but I love your postcard.

Xenia said...

I love pears, there's something about them that they seem to be the best of all worlds when it comes to fruit.

Following you from MBC...
http://thanksmailcarrier.blogspot.com

Pat said...

I love pears, all kinds. And yes, I can read this, and I do thank my Latin teachers!

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

The reason pears are problematic for people is, I think, a slight difficulty in getting them when they are ripe.. not too soon and definitely not too late. But because they seem to have a tremendous sugar content when they ARE ripe, that gives them an edge. Pears make some of the best brandy in this world.