The Dreaded French Tarasque Dragon



Legend has it that this boxy (volvo shaped) six legged sort of dragon ravaged the landscape and peeps in Nerluc, Provence, France. This naughty monster had a lion's head, spiked tortoise shell and a tail that ended with a scorpion's sting. That siren St. Martha saved the day by luring this prickly pest into the nearby village with songs and prayers. The scared peasants exterminated the beast and then converted to Christianity. That was their way of saying thanks to Saint Martha for her help. There is a festival every June where the procession of the dreaded Tarasque dragon is celebrated! French vintage postcard  


18 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Gee, I lived in Provence for a year long ago (not in the dragon's time...) and had never heard of the dragon. Something to check out next time I'm there!

claude said...

This dragon does not look like Elliot. I do not know this story before today.

MrCachet said...

A true compendium of information you are, Marie. Where do you find these obscure tidbits?

Cezar and Léia said...

wow this dragon is cute! :)
Very interesting event!
ahhh Marie,we had visited Strasbourg!Wonderful and romantic place, we enjoyed it a lot!I could have the chance to try my French!For sure I must study more but I'm doing well! :)
Many thanks for your kind message,
God bless you
Léia

Postcardy said...

What a great card! I am wondering where you find your tidbits too.

(I am checking the box on this comment form about "Email follow-up comments" to see what happens.)

Maggi said...

Wow, that is truly interesting! What a creature!

Unknown said...

You write the most interesting posts! Thanks, Have a sweet day!x

Daryl said...

Sounds like a dream I had as a kid where this giraffe with a lion's head would try catching me as I ran ..

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

OMG! That scares the cr*p out of me! lol

Clytie said...

Awe I think he's kinda cute, in a gross sort of way! I don't think I would want to come across him in a dark alley, though. Love the old fashioned clothes in the postcard, too.

~JarieLyn~ said...

He's a spiky little dragon. Great post.

Irene said...

Marie, what a delightful story, you should be making up a Trivial Pursuit game, with all these lovely images. Take care.

Mescrap said...

What an informative post !

Grace said...

Wonderful post. How interesting to see something across the globe from me. I look forward to visiting again

Alan Burnett said...

What an excellent find your blog is. As a postcard lover myself I will be back .... often

Beth Niquette said...

Wow--I wonder what poor old hungry dinasaur wandered through? (grin) One never knows--most legends are based on some kind of fact.

Wonderful post!

Janine said...

I know that legend, about Tarasque. But honestly, he doesn´t look much like a dragon, but more like a moth- eaten lion-dummy.
Poor blighter.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Ew! What a combo of body parts!

It is so fun to see and read what you have to say :o)

Blessings & Aloha!