The Great Fire of London


 

The very daft Tommy Farriner accidentally set fire to his bakery and then the rest of London in 1666. This all happened in the now infamous Pudding Lane. Pudding is apparently the medieval word for - wait for it - guts and entrails. The lane was thus named for the 'puddings' which would fall from the carts coming down the lane from the butchers in Eastcheap as they headed for the waste barges on the Thames.

Here's a jolly little English fire truck from 1934. (Yes, I'm trying to take your mind off the rather repugnant (yet interesting) etymology tidbit:) Cheers!

19 cool cats commented:

MrCachet said...

How big is this fire truck?

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Very interesting facts. LOVE it. =D

Marie Reed said...

It is a rather small fire engine! Good things come in small packages I suppose:)

Maggi said...

Ewwwwwww...there goes my love of pudding pops. lol ;)

Marie Reed said...

I know! I don't really understand how the word evolved into something so yummy! Did Bill Cosby know about this when he was hawking Jello pudding?

Daryl said...

You always know the most interesting factoids!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

... fall from the carts??? I'm glad I finished lunch BEFORE visualizing this little tidbit!
Evelyn in Montreal

Janie said...

Eww. I'll never think of pudding the same way again!
Cute fire truck.

Sparky said...

I love these interesting facts you always share. Who knew that 'pudding' had such a yucky past. Leave it to the English to eat something disgusting.

Clueless in Boston said...

So much for the good old days! I don't care what the origins of the word, chocolate pudding -- wait a minute, chocolate anything wins hands down -- is still my favorite.

Postcardy said...

Eastcheap has a Wikipedia page, and apparently a cheap was a market.

Irene said...

Love the postcard, not so much the news of puddings.

Candy said...

I'm with Maggi...next time I have pudding hope this thought doesn't come to mind.
Funny and interesting post anyway...enjoyed it ;-/

tapirgal said...

What interesting facts. And disgusting. I can't even imagine what the lane smelled like! Hopefully it smelled better after the fire.

Sheila said...

We live near a Pudding Lane, not THAT one, but an old one. I will never look on it in the same way. The Royal Mail has a series of stamps featuring the emergency services at the moment.

Pat said...

Well, pudding now to me will never be the same.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Ew...Pudding takes on a whole other light!

and nice try getting our minds to forget that nifty fact! haha

Blessings & Aloha!

Roger Owen Green said...

1666 is one of those years I remember from the history books, even as an American. Love the truck.

Job Recruiter said...

I have been reading your blogs. I noticed that you really love to share some history facts. Thank you for sharing it with us.