Vintage Beef-a-roni - Part 2 - PFF!


In 1914, Chef Ettore Boiardi (Boy-Ar-dee) came to the USA through Ellis island. He was 16 years old! He became the head chef at the Plaza Hotel in New York City ONE (isn't that amazing) little year later. Mr. Boiardi even catered for the reception of President Woodrow Wilson's second wedding.

Ettore opened a restaurant in Clevland, Ohio in 1924. His spaghetti sauce was a hit! He initially sold it in milk bottles to his saucy customers. But he ended up opening a factory to keep up with the demand! Here's Beef-a-roni Part 1:)

32 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Now you've got me singing the Beef-a-Roni ditty... I like pasta, but pasta in a can/bottle is just tooooo soggy!

Lydia said...

hehe. When my sis and I were little we had a live-in sitter because my mother worked at night. We ate a lot of Boy-ar-dee junk. When our cat had two calico kittens, a male and a female, I named them Boy-ar-dee and Girl-ar-dee.
Hadn't thought of that for years until seeing this post.

claude said...

Yumm ! but sorry, Marie I have begun a diet for two monthes.

Cezar and Léia said...

wow so many information!A yummy postcard! ;)
Léia

Lola said...

Thanks for the info, Marie! (love the poster!) Looks delish but we're both on very strict diets too! :)

xoxox LOLA & NORA:)

Marimoy said...

great post!

steviewren said...

hehe I had his ravioli for supper last night. I got home late and opened the can, dumped the ravioli in a bowl and popped that in the microwave. Voila, supper was ready.

Maggi said...

I saw a mini documentary on Chef Boiardi a while back and found it very interesting! and I love Beefaroni...lol

Betsy Brock said...

Isn't that interesting! I didn't even know the Chef was a real person! A true success story...I love those!

Irene said...

We've come a long way, with pasta, al dente is what kills me. I agree with Bibi,canned pasta is soggy. But I also remember when my mother bought us beef a roni, we thought we'd died and gone to heaven, my son still like the ravioli for a snack. Great Post.

~JarieLyn~ said...

This is very interesting. I love hearing about success stories, and I had no idea that Chef Boiardi was head chef at the plaza hotel. That in itself, is quite an accomplishment.

Great post.

peggy gatto said...

I actually liked it in the 70s!
Love the card!!!!!

Marie said...

I'd like to know how he could become chef in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparky said...

You and your Beef-A-Roni ... [giggle] ... it's not one of my favorites. I prefer fresh cooked pasta to the canned variety. :)

Clueless in Boston said...

Supermarket shelves are always well stocked with Beef-a-roni so it must sell well. I guess in a pinch a can of soggy pasta will do.

Janie said...

Interesting that the Beef a roni kind was a famous chef. I didn't know that!

Tussy said...

You make me look hungry :)

My Bangkok Through My Eyes!
You Got A Posty

maryt/theteach said...

I love Chef Boyardi ravioli. When I married into an Italian family I had to hide my addiction to the delicious ravioli. Ha! Great post, Marie! Happy PFF! :)

Starman said...

I'd bet you anything that the sauce he sold in Cleveland was nothing like the crap one gets in a can of Chef Boyardee.

Sheila said...

I wish I could taste this dish - you are all so enthusiastic, it's making my mouth water.

JamaGenie said...

I loved Beef-a-roni, but adored Chef Boyardee ravioli. Even though it's canned and a bit soggy, I still consider it "comfort food" from my childhood.

Happy PFF!

Aimee said...

I remember beef-a-roni being on the menu at the school cafeteria when I was in Elementary school...I must confess, I always brought my lunch from home on those days!

Postcardy said...

That's a cute ad.

steviewren said...

Somehow I missed your PFF last night so I linking myself really late.

***Sharon*** said...

Super cool blog!!! I found you via MBC and am now following. Can't wait to go through the rest of your posts! Have a great weekend!

Starman said...

When did you become Kermit?

said...

Oh yeah, looks dee-lish! ;o)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Yum! Beef-a-roni was one of my favorites as a kid!
Hm...havent had it for.ever! (I just might have to buy some for old time's sake!

Blessings & Aloha!

(Oh so good to see you posting regularly again! Come and visit some time, dear friend :o)

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling I came across this site and it reminded me of you, check it out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlekay/

Duchess xoxoxo

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Ooh, now I'm hungry for really bad food!

Beth Niquette said...

Hahaa..that is SO cute!!! (grin) I remember those commercials from long ago. Heehee...

starblinkee said...

Wow! I remember the last time I saw an ad of chef boyardee ravioli was at a copy of Good Housekeeping dating back to the late 1960's from my aunt's collection in her library. Even if this goes all the way back from 1916, the mad and beef still makes mouths water, yummy!!!