Killer Mustard, Your Children, and Internet Safety




I've been beefing up on how to keep the kids safe online. There are a number of wonderful programs out there that will successfully filter out 'dangerous' sites. Yep. Today I was blocked from viewing the Wikipedia pages on mustard, Woodrow Wilson, and Kerb (an upcoming festival here in Germany) Danger danger Will Robinson!

25 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Hmmmm. what's the message there? Spicy? Phallic? And I'm not sure about Kerb, unless it's a spicy sausage festival...

tapirgal said...

Great post! This is a topic dear to my heart. I spent years trying to figure out why my web site (tapirs and animal-themed kids' toys) was banned from some of the safe searches. We finally started changing a few things like calling the animals "parent" and baby instead of the dreaded "a--lt" word, and hiding the size of the "blank blank" (looks like lazy crosses) large t-shirts inside the coding where the search engines don't find it. Crazy, huh?

tapirgal said...

Oh yeah, crazy especially when those t-shirts were meant for parent-type people!!!

Witchcrafted Life said...

How precious are these darling vintage kiddies? I just love their toys, especially the cute little pony!

Thank you sweetly for your comment, dear soul, I hope you're having a fabulous week!
♥ Jessica

Buckeroomama said...

I love the featured postcard (photo)! :)

Margo said...

so I guess they haven't gotten any better at this technology over the past few years. I eventually had to more or less give up on this kind of software if any of us wanted to go to a website that wasn't 100 % Barney approved. Mustard? that's a good one :)

Maggi said...

lol Mustard...

I hope your move went smoothly and you are enjoying being back! We missed you around here!!

Betsy Brock said...

Too funny! And shame on you trying to look at mustard! tee-hee!

MrCachet said...

Marie - I'll focus on the card instead of the message -- Did you run this through photoshop? The color and clarity are way up there for a vintage card.

Jane Hards Photography said...

You had me at the title alone. I really did wonder what I was going to find. This is not so much a problem here, but saying that the local library and internet cafes having complete lockdown at some sites. I was awol in France. More's the pity I am now at home. Just not the same.

Cezar and Léia said...

Sometimes I got crazy with all this internet mess! I'm not good in it, anyway a good and open dialogue is what I put on work here with Marina.
But sausage and mustard !!!! wow I have never imagined it was so dangerous! LOL really funny
Great post Marie!
Hugs
Léia

ChaChaneen said...

That is a GORGEOUS picture! Love it! Hope things are going well for you and know that I think of you often!

Anonymous said...

It's weird how it blocks out sites that shouldn't be blocked. I tried using the filter on my computer to keep questionable things off and for some reason it ended up blocking too much. I made a list of obvious places I didn't want my boys "stumbling" onto and blocked them. Anything really filthy seems to not come up anyway so I stopped using the filter.

Sparky said...

The Germans are suppose to have some dandy mustard. Maybe the internet thinks it's deadly because it's so spicy?! [lol]
So glad you're back on-line. :)

Janie said...

Funny thing to block. I wonder what the internet server is thinking?

Lola said...

Love the postcard & do hope yr move went well too!

Have a great week!

xxLOLA:)

PS Many thanks for the lovely comment! xx

Starman said...

The best way to keep your children safe on the internet is to *gasp* take responsibility for them and only allow them to use the computer when you are there.

Life Goes On said...

What a great post card.

papel1 said...

Glad to see you posting again.
Judy

Floss said...

Hmmm... My mum had breast cancer but her computer wouldn't let her look up sites with that naughty word in it...

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling I have missed you. I just came over to wish you a fabulous weekend!!

Love & Hugs
Duchess ♥♥♥

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha... too funny! on your quote there..."Danger...Will Robinson!..."

Love these little kiddies you have on this post!
Blessings & Aloha!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

lol

Beth Niquette said...

As always you make me think, laugh and ponder. (Grin) Lovely post, my dear!

Nishant said...

Great post! This is a topic dear to my heart. I spent years trying to figure out .
Web hosting india