Undersized Emperor?

vintage postcards


Napoleon was not an undersized emperor! He was neither short nor sweet. He was actually a bit taller than the average Corsican of the 19th century. The diminuative size Napoleon is so noted for was just a miscalculation.

After his death in 1821, the French emperor's height was recorded as 5 feet 2 inches in French feet. (BUTTTTTTTT)This corresponds to roughly 5 feet 7 inches in Imperial (British) feet, or 1.686 meters


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

20 cool cats commented:

Maria said...

Well, 1,68 m is NOT very tall, Napoleon was no dwarf but mpt tall either :)
Michael is my nephew and he is already 21 years old, but when he was a kid we spent a lot of time together. He was soooo cute!
Have a nice week, Marie!

Marie Reed said...

It's not super duper tall buttt.. it's not shrimpy either.. especially back then:)

M.K. said...

That is very interesting! I learn all kinds of stuff on your blog :) You must be devastating at Trivial Pursuit!

Webradio said...

Et Toi Marie ? Tu mesures combien ???


Joli post !

Vodka Mom said...

marie-que est un fait cool! J'ai toujours apprendre quelque chose de cool quand je viendrai vous voir! Ont une belle, belle journée!!

xoxox
debbie

Sandy said...

Hello!
How are you today? Fine I hope :)
Now you can translate my blog into english with Google translate, a link on the left side of the blog, if you like :)
I'll just like to say that it's not translating correctly all the time so, you have to read between the lines :)
Take care!

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" never knew that...hmmmm....

Starman said...

Love the kid's gesture.

Pat said...

I am 5m 70 and I think that isn't so tall for a guy, but it's not small either. Poor Napoleon; he'll still remain short for posterity. I heard Atila the Hun was small, too. Anybody know?

King of New York Hacks said...

I guess its how big your mouth is that counts the most.

Tess Kincaid said...

And all this time we thought he was SO short! 5'7" is not so tall, but back then, men weren't all that tall.

MuseSwings said...

I recently heard that about Napoleon too. Not so short as we were lead to believe. Short sighted, in the end, perhaps.
C'est un beau cadeau d'anniversaire que vous avez fait pour Marie Antoinette ! Elle vous laissera manger le gâteau !

soulbrush said...

whenever i think of napoleon i see marlon brando, who acted the part marvellously.

Mescrap said...

This interesting.

Sparky said...

Neat! I learned a new history fact. I like that. Napoleon and I would have been about the same height. I understand that people are taller in present times (thanks to modern medical science, no doubt). I figured he wasn't cuddly as he was a Conqueror.

FYI, I am one of several million people who are direct descendants of William The Conqueror. I'll bet he wasn't cuddly either. ;o) ♥ ∞

Profile Not Available said...

Love this quirky card! The facial expression is hysterical!

Tanya Breese said...

People back then were alot smaller than now days.

Hey Sparky, my husband is a descendent of William the Conqueror too! I guess y'all are somehow related :D

Lori said...

No way dude!

That picture is too funny. :)

Betsy Brock said...

Well, what do you know! I learned something new!

Anonymous said...

Good old Napoleon. What a handful he must have been with that giant sized ego!