You Sunk My Battleship!

battleship vintage postcard

My 9 year old son always beats me at the game Battleship. ALWAYS. He's quite smug and cheeky about it too. Can you ground a kid for not letting you ever win? I've pulled out the big guns and found a strategy site for the game (pathetic, eh?) My kid's going down:) Arrrg!
French Lesson: The game Battleship is called Touché- Coulé which literally means Hit - Sink!

MellowYellowBadge

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

28 cool cats commented:

kRiZcPEc said...

why not, ground him so you can play that game for the whole day, lol.

Mia said...

He he, you are so funny :) I’m not so good with my fiancé winning over me, in a card game that I have taught him :)

Sounds a bit scary about the wild boar, but also a really cool thing to have experienced :)

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I like Kriz's comment! Keep your son home all day so you can finally win. Too funny!

Maggi said...

LOL That is awesome that you're becoming strategic in your efforts to beat him. What is it about kids that make them so smart? We were kids once so shouldn't we be double smart by now and beat them at everything? lol ;)

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Sharon said...

I used to love playing this game too. When we first started playing it though, we did it on paper!

Liz Mays said...

Take him down! Good luck.

I much prefer the french name for the game! :)

Unknown said...

Poor you! It would be the same with me too. Not good at games. Such good humour in you :)

Reader Wil said...

Winning is nice of course, but playing together is more important of course. There comes a time that your son has other things on his mind and then there is no playing, winning and losing. Enjoy as long as you can.

Beth Niquette said...

I remember that game! I think we have an antique version up in the attic. (Grin) Great blog!

Amy said...

I love that game.

Joanna said...

Good luck with beating him. Don't know how it is but nine year old boys just seem to have a knack for winning those kind of games.

By the way I lovedd the pink and blue bunny photos.

Beth Niquette said...

I have to say, right here and now--YOU, my dear are marvelous. (grin)

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello Marie!
Cool game and thanks for the French lesson!
purrs and love
mommy Léia, Marina and Luna(from Brazil)

Starman said...

Be kind to him. One day he may have to support you.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: No grounding of him winning, you just have to try harder. Thanks for the French lesson.

SouthLakesMom said...

Reverse psychology. Let him think you're letting him win. His ego will kick in and he'll lose focus...at least you can hope so. Alternative -- move on to a new game. I suggest Mastermind. It's a logic game and for a few years at least, developmentally it will be very hard for him to beat you.. Until about age 12. Then move on to another game. And laugh. A lot.

lorhen82 said...

I remember my daughter always getting so upset when I would win all the time. But not that she's grown, she almost always beats me! I find that the shoe doesn't fit my other foot that well! LOL ~Lori

Carol said...

I always enjoyed playing that game with my son...such a fun way to tie in your postcard, very creative.

Janie said...

My kids loved playing battleship. I don't think I won much, either...
Interesting to learn the french name and translation.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Had to come check you out. Anyone with Kermit as their profile pic is someone I like!!

Hallie :)

Margo said...

I love that name. Does your son play "Risk"? My husband still makes us play every Christmas... it's all about global domination. The French name probably isn't as cool - risque?
I'm in Blogger hell again. If I disappear for a bit you can still find me on facebook :)

Veronica Lee said...

LOL, you are hilarious!! And thanks for the French lesson!

Unknown said...

It looks like it's a much cooler version than battleship. Find his weak spot and hammer him with it!!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Beat the kid. All's fair in love war photography and battleships.

Lowell said...

I was in the Navy, but never on a battleship...this appears to be an older one...pre-WWII maybe?

I don't think it's so bad that your son beats you at the game...you do let him (subtly, of course) believe that he's winning only because you choose to let him win. Right?

Or, is too smart to be so fooled?

;-)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Loved playing Battleship with my son :o)

And thanks for checking my blog out! :o)

Also, I just tagged you on my blog. Hope you decide to post your 10, but as always-no pressure. Just fun to learn more about a blogger :o)

But if you do join in, please leave a comment.

Mescrap said...

This is my first time heard about this game. I'm too out-dated.

Carletta said...

I loved this game growing up!
Thanks for some memories.