Some Like It Hot - Dr Pepper

vintage postcard

I actually like the idea of steaming Dr Pepper with a bit of lemony razzmatazz! You can only buy Dr. P in a few specialty shops here in Paris. I'm going to pop out and buy some today. It's probably quite blurky but I'm curious! Meow:)

Here are my favorite slogans:

  • 1920: "Drink a Bite to Eat at 10, 2, and 4 o'clock." USA
  • 1950: "The Friendly Pepper Upper." USA
  • 1977: "I'm a Pepper, He's a Pepper, We're a Pepper. Be a Pepper. Wouldn't you like to Be a Pepper too?" USA
  • 1997: "It's Dr Pepper Flavour, Silly!" Australia
  • 2002: "Solves All Your Problems." Europe
  • 2004: "Dr Pepper, what's the worst that could happen?" UK

PS. All followers of this blog will be automatically entered into my monthly giveaway!


  • Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

40 cool cats commented:

Lydia said...

My step-father made HOT Dr. Pepper for my sis and me when he joined our family, and it became our favorite treat! You've brought back some sweet memories with this one. Oh, be sure to float a thin slice of lemon on top. That's how he made it and it's wonderful.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: I never heard of hot Dr. Pepper. My one daughter thinks it the best soda.

Floss said...

I remember that UK slogan. I never liked the drink when I lived in the States - it wasn't to the taste of a 6-year old English girl!

Now, about Toulouse - sorry, no lavender. I think you have to go further east. We have fields of sunflowers and maize here, and (allegedly) violets, although I've never seen a field of violets myself. It's just a tourist thing, I guess...

Cezar and Léia said...

wow this is really "vintage"! ;-)
I don't know the reason but I have a thought here that it tastes not so good!
But I can easily change my mind if you say it helps my diet to lose so weight!LOL
kind regards
Léia

Sue said...

Now that would definitely be something different!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

What fun! I think I need a Pepper Upper! or maybe just be a pepper...Wouldn't you like to be one too???? non? Cute post, Marie Isabelle...and I think I will pass on the hot Dr. with lemon unless I'm feeling sick...maybe it's a cold remedy? <3

ByLightOfMoon said...

In my memory ALL my grandparents had was Dr. Pepper and they probably had it hot too . That and cold lemonade was in the fridge when I went for a drink and I had to ask permission for a drink. I suppose they were expensive then really as they are now. Oh My, So America does have something over Paris! My Goodness!

Smiles, Cyndi

Celine said...

Hot Dr Pepper?? Weird! lol
I buy my Dr Pepper in Luxembourg since it's my favorite drink ever! :)

Polly Forns said...

LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper! But I sure can't imagine it HOT and I don't think I'm brave enough to try it. I don't even drink hot tea. But I DO love my coffee. American thing, I guess :) Have a great Wednesday!

Maggi said...

I have never heard of making Dr Pepper hot! Let us know how it is!

Lowell said...

Dr. Pepper is a Texas drink! At least a lot of Texans drink it...I like a little bit of it...the diet stuff - and I can't tell the difference between the diet and the regular.

Never heard of heating it up, though.

Great postcard, Marie.

lorhen82 said...

Some of those slogans bring back memories! I remember the crowds of people all dancing in unison to "I'm a Pepper, He's a Pepper, We're a Pepper. Be a Pepper. Wouldn't you like to Be a Pepper too?...Be a Pepper, Drink Dr. Pepper..."

Renee said...

I totally remember the 1977 slogan Marie.

By the way, you are beautiful.

xoxoxo

Daryl said...

I had my first Dr Pepper when we visited my then new MIL a year after we were married .... a long long time ago .. Dr P isnt as popular in the NE as it is in the South ...

Mandala Michelle said...

I love Dr. Pepper but hot? Then again, I thought hot cider was a bad idea until I tried it.

BTW- I'm playing tag so... Tag- Your it!
http://mylifeonthexyzlist.blogspot.com/

Pat said...

Wasn't there one "It's Dr. Pepper Time!"?

And who came up with the European one 'It solves all your problems?" If so, send some over!! Can't find it here...I miss it, but make mine iced!

Miss Rosa said...

I remember hearing the US one on TV (we get lots of American channels in Canada). The jingle that goes with it is now going to be in my head all day.

storyteller said...

I do love the way you share these fascinating 'vintage' tidbits. Hot Dr. Pepper doesn't sound appealing to me one bit ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Awe...my full name is Dr. Jodie Pepper LeJeune...did you know that? Just kidding! I am a Dr. Pepper freak though. I almost died when I went to France and Italy and I couldn't find it anywhere...and if I did, It was HOT!
Let me know how it tastes!
everything vintage

Poke Salad Annie said...

funny, my intitial reaction was one of utter disgust, but after i thought about it for a moment, i thinki might like to try it out. great post!

Abby♥ said...

Omigoodness... hot dr. pepper. sounds interesting! I don't know if I'd like it though.

Starman said...

I have liked Dr. Pepper for more years than most have been alive.

Pam @ Frippery said...

I love diet Dr. P. but not so sure about hot. Love the "What's the worst that can happen?" slogan. Leave it to the Brits to be witty in an understated way. I believe you can buy REAL Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar in Texas. Most places it is corn syrup. But the real costs more, weird factoid I just read this week.

ChaChaneen said...

Well I have a soda pop machine at work, so I'll have to get a bottle and try this, sounds GOOD to me!

Anonymous said...

wow that blows my mind that you can only get it in speciality shops!
we have cases upon cases and liter bottles and canned bottles lining the grocery store shelves, it is everywhere!
i have never even heard of drinking it hot!
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
im going to have to try this.
i am drinking diest vanilla coke right now filled with ice!
love ice, the more the better.

Anonymous said...

go on u tube because here in america we have 2 new dr pepper commercial with a member of the kiss band and another with a rapper , i think his name is dr. dre

Sparky said...

This makes me miss winter (and I do too, it is so HOT here this week!). :o)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I don't think I've ever heard the word "blurky" before LOL

I love hearing the old slogans.

Sheila said...

I've never had Dr Pepper, hot or otherwise, though I do remember the UK slogan.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks so yummy!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Hot Dr Pepper? Yipes! I had a flaming Dr Pepper once, but I'm not sure that it actually had Dr Pepper in it. Hmm...

Janie said...

I've never tried hot Dr. Pepper. I do remember that 1977 slogan very well.

Clueless in Boston said...

I never liked the flavour of Dr. Pepper, tastes too much like medicine to me.

MissRedLips said...

i must try this asap!

Pietro Brosio said...

Excellent post, Marie.
Never tried Dr Pepper, I drink a lot of... sparkling mineral water! :-)

claude said...

Some like it hot !
See you soon, Marie !

SueLovesCherries said...

I'm so surprised that no one has mentioned the movie "Blast From The Past" (Brendan Frasier, Alicia Silverstone, Christopher Walken, Sissy Spacek)where the dad (C. Walken)drank hot Dr. Pepper all the time in his fallout shelter!

Aimee said...

My husband loves Dr. Pepper (We are from Texas, afterall!) I don't think he's ever had it hot though.

elsa said...

this is great marie!
my favorite is the 1977

such a fun jingle! i think i sang it throughout grade school

i am not sure if they sell dr pepper in the bigger cities here
for sure at army bases

here where we live (down south at the bodensee in a tiny village), we have a german friend who spent time working in the us and loved it
he wheres a cowboy hat- i can pick him out in an instant in the crowded square
his dog's name is ranger, after the tx rangers
and he orders a 12 pack of dr pepper everytime we go home
i find him to be quite a character
i mean, i don't think to buy myself dr p! lol!

Unknown said...

I totally love hot Dr. Pepper with lemon!! ...and all kinds of Dr. Pepper advertisements...my grandpas favorite drink.