Y'a Bon Banania!

banana vintage postcards

Banania is an iconic powdered chocolate drink that helped sustain the French troops during World War I. Soldiers happily sported chocolate milk mustaches;) This jolly Senegalese soldier makes me want to drink a glass lickey split!

Are you hungry for more history? Yes! I made a Banania video last night that will hit the spot then:)



 
Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

46 cool cats commented:

kRiZcPEc said...

love chocolate! Didn't know this great stuff was put to this use before, thanks for sharing

Lowell said...

I love all these posts...you are so very creative...I haven't watched the video yet as it's now 30 minutes past midnight, but I will...

Banania is hysterical and the girl with the umbrella is too cute.

Great blog, Marie!

Reader Wil said...

What a lovely post! I love your video and the history about Banania. You did a nice job!!Thanks!.
You asked about my friend and did I see her. Well I am going to see her in August for a couple of days.

Pat said...

I just love your vlogs, and blog, too, of course. You remind me of me when I was younger! I love to see Banania advertisements, bowls,etc. but honestly I don't care for its taste. I'll just take my chocolate straight. Here a favorite kids' treat is a chocoloate-covered marshmallow banana!

Elv Freiheit said...

And I'm so happy I foud your blog too! Love this post. Besides postcards and teacups, chocolate is up there with the 'these are a few of my favourite things'.

Virginia said...

Great post...Happy VTT!

Maggi said...

What a neat thing! I've never heard of this before but now I'm desperate to try some! lol I love that bowl and you did a great job on the video! Thanks for sharing some history on the product!

Carol said...

I love your video....makes me want to try banania...

Kimberly said...

I really enjoyed learning about Banania! Now when I go back to France I'll know a little something :)

debbie said...

Dear Marie,
I loved your cute video
I have never heard of banania..but you educated me. I love to learn.
hugs
debbie

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Never heard of it before!!!

Coloradolady said...

It is so fun learning something new everyday!! Great post....as always!!

Happy Vintage Thingies Thursday!!

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Oh Marie...Bravo Bravo Bravo~
You are getting me spoiled to seeing your beautiful face and hearing your wonderfully sweet voice.
I vote that you vlog everyday...anyone want to second that motion????
Bravo!
everything vintage

Vicky said...

I have never heard of Banania,Thank you for sharing the history of it.

Polly Forns said...

We don't have Banania in USA so I never heard of it before....looks and sounds YUMMY! Wish I had some! Love your sweet face and voice, you always brighten my day!

Keetha Broyles said...

I've never heard of it - - - but you're right, that guy does make me want to drink a glass!!!

Daryl said...

I cant watch this at the office .. boo hoo .. gotta come back when I get home this evening to listen ... xo

Postcardy said...

That's the second chocolate drink I've learned about in Vinatage Thingies this week. (The other is Yoo-Hoo).

Couldn't watch the video. Guess it's time for the Thursday morning slowdown. I'll try again later.

Clueless in Boston said...

Very interesting history of Banania and its marketing. The postcard is wonderful and really evokes another era.

Francois's bowl looks almost brand new; you must be on good terms with his mother to let you borrow it:)

How do you pronounce "Cpaphil?" Is that a french word?

Betsy Brock said...

Chocolate and banana ~ it's like drinking a banana split! yum!

LV said...

Neat post. Thanks for visiting my post. You always have such neat items.

Mia said...

I love stories like that :)
Recently read the history on Bovril, which was quite interesting as well :)

SueLovesCherries said...

Mmmmm, yummy! Makes me want Ovaltine!

Thanks for researching the Jenny Wren poem for me! Mine has that poem on the back also.

Brenda Pruitt said...

That is priceless! I love it. So colorful and fun!
Brenda

lorhen82 said...

Hmmm...well I love banana and chocolate together, so why not? You are such a pleasant person...so full of joy when you speak! Nice job on your vlogs! ~Lori

Bea said...

Loved today's post. Great video. Thanks for the wonderful history of Banania.

The Clever Pup said...

That guy always makes me hungry. Now, thanks to your vid, I'm ravenous. Do they still make Banania?

Unseen India Tours said...

Wow What a fantastic poster...I really posters and has a good collection of them...Video is also gud...Also I Have Started My Own Website And Would Like You To Have A Look At It.I Would Love To Have Your Comments On That Also.Unseen Rajasthan

Pietro Brosio said...

Very nice post, Marie!
Interesting explanation in the video!

Starman said...

That was a great history leçon.

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Love your video! Thank you so much for sharing all that information and visiting us today!
Clara & Marcela

One Gal's Trash said...

Bonjour! Thanks for stopping by. To answer your question...my guests come over IN ORDER TO SEE my junky junk! You have inspired me to blog about my favorite French postcard ever...I will post about it, but have to find it first. Wish me Bonne Chance!
Pam

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

thank you for coming back to find my blog...a fellow helpful blogger gave me the heads up that my link didn't work. You are one funny girl. Love the posts.

Roslyn said...

Most unusual I've never seen this before. i thought the French only drank wine,LOL.

the wild raspberry said...

love the old poster!... but the thought of powdered chocolate milk nearly gives me the shivers :)
have a wonderful day.
chasity

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

You are such a wonderful teacher! I love all of the wonderful things I learn here! I am so happy to be back to my stalking so I can visit again!

blueviolet said...

Hey stranger! Stopping by and following from MBC followers. I'm back online but with a new url. :)

Loni Edwards said...

Ever since I got sick off of a banana milkshake when pregnant, I've steered clear of banana drinks. However, his face sure looks like he's enjoying it! Great job on the vid too :)

Protector of Vintage said...

Neat post! I enjoyed visiting your blog today. Have a nice day!

RedLan said...

Thanks for sharing the banania history Marie. Another great video!

Anonymous said...

SO cool! I love your video, how interesting.

You're just the cats meow, you and your Banania!

Miri said...

Great post! Love the postcard and thanks for the video history!

Catherine said...

I have some kitchenwares too. Who don't in France.....

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: I loved your video and the neat story of the drink. The cup was really neat, thanks for showing us this neat story from your lips.

jenny said...

I want to try it!! Remember to bring a box when you visit me in Victoria :).

Unknown said...

Marie! You are so cuuuute and well spoken! I enjoyed hearring the history of Banania and what a treasure that bowl is!

Hugs!
Sandy