Dubble Bubble Trubble !

vintage postcard
Johnny came home out of sorts yesterday! He was jabbed and teased after school about his bubble gum blowing skills!?! This called for isoprene-isobutylene action (that's the main rubber ingredient in most gums:) We bought 5 packs and started the chewing fest! We smacked, laughed, and bubbled for hours until he got it down pact:) These are serious 6 year old skills people!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

52 cool cats commented:

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Marie, I am sorry I haven't been by lately. You stopped by my blog a while back and said you had used one of my photos for a wallpaper. Just wanted to say how honored I was that you did that. Thank you and I love your blog even though I am having a hard time catching up lately. Have a great weekend.

DeniseinVA said...

And I should have added what a lovely post and what a nice time you had with your son. Mine used to get teased a lot too and after being chased by the little girls he would hide in the school bathroom. He swore off girls for life but thankfully now at the age of 29 he is getting married in two weeks :)

Ann said...

children can be so thoughtless..how wonderful and fun that you could share bubble blowing with him. I'll bet he'll be the best and show all those meanies what a great bubble looks like.Good job super mom!!
love this photo!!

Catherine said...

Malabar are the best to play this game, no ?

Veronica Lee said...

Yeah, good job Supermom!!
love the photo.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Thanks for the picnik advice. I have played with it a bit. I also downloaded picasa and messed with it. Now I know how to do it on Iphoto which has been my standard edit program. Wow, you bloggers are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.
I so remember this bubble gum ad and how important that bubble blowing skill was to learn! Thanks for a trip down memory lane, Pam

Kathy McCreedy said...

What an awesome post card and an even better story... your son will never forget learning how to blow bubbles with you, Marie! What a great mom! (Oh, and I still like you, even if you're a Bruin's fan!)
:D

Pat said...

Well, I can relate to this in a way. My husband was HOPELESS when it came to blowing bubbles. Mind you, he was introduced to this finer skill after adulthood. He would try his best to make the little pocket with his tongue and blow, but only succeeded in spitting the gum across the room. I'm quite good at bubbles and so are my children, so it must be something in strong American genes.


No luck with Picasa yet, but will keep trying to think up something for a vlog. I don't have a webcam on my big computer, and my little Linux requires so much dumb set-up to download Picasa--I am not a computer techie, so....

Maggi said...

Poor Johnny! And how cool of you to remedy the problem, I bet he's a champ bubble blower now! And you turned a yucky memory into a fantastic one too! Have a great weekend!

Polly Forns said...

I second Veronica Lee......yep, you're the SUPERMOM ! Have a great Saturday!

Debby said...

AH!!! You are the best mom, ever. I bet Johnny will kick some serious butt now...LOL...I loved seeing this card, brought back my blowing bubble days. Thanks for sharing.
debby

Lowell said...

I'm trying to remember Dubble Bubble...I do remember during WWII, the larger, flat packages of bubble gum...which I would hide in the basement and soon were no longer available due to rationing.

I remember the name Fleers, though.

Have a bon weekend, Marie!

ChaChaneen said...

You go boys! ha ha Just wait until Monday when the newly crowned BUBBLE KING makes his victory bubble!! GO Johnny!

icandy... said...

Oooh! I just LOVE the retro bunnies and the pastel colors of the dubble bubble card...aren't vintage illustrations wonderful? Thank you very much for visiting ~I'll check back with you soon! :)

Postcardy said...

I never could learn to blow bubbles and I couldn't stand the taste or smell. That didn't stop me from buying it to get the goodies that came with the gum. I think Double Bubble had comics inside. And if you wanted baseball cards you had to buy a package with gum.

Terry said...

Oh Marie
You are such a wonderful Mom .
I am so glad you did this for your sweet son.
What fun !
It is hard to be teased when you can't blow bubbles very well.
I remember being teased and
my grandmother came to my rescue.
She had false teeth and could no longer chew so she told me I was going to be her official gum chewer.She even bought a lot of gum for practice :)
Well I believed her and listened and before I knew it ,I was finally able to blow some bubbles.
Thank you for the reminder of this precious lady.
Have a bubbly fun time .
Blessings of joy to you and Johnny.
Hugs

i beati said...

how did i miss that growing up !1sandy

Anna said...

Cute bunnies! Bubble gum skills are important to have.

Snap said...

Nice post and I love blowing bubbles! Show those mean guys a thing or two!

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

Ahh! I love Dubble Bubble and it makes for the best bubbles.

said...

Good for him for buckling down and learning - he'll show those brats at school!

Starman said...

Well, who can blame him? It would be terrible to be the only bloke in the schoolyard who can't blow bubbles. I was one of the lucky ones to whom it came naturally, being full of hot air and all.

Anonymous said...

I can just picture you teaching your son to blow bubbles...what fun you must of had.

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

I love that one! Gum and bunnies, how can you go wrong? Would make a cute poster for Lily's room. :)

jabblog said...

Lucky Johnny to have you with the patience and humour to help him with this important life skill . . . what will be next?

EG CameraGirl said...

Trials and Tribulations of six-year-old kids: ;-)

Staci said...

Ah, I love that!

Anonymous said...

yes yes yes! gorgeous :)

Agneta from Sweden

Homemom3 said...

hehe this is too cute. Sad that he was teased but I love how you rectified the situation. :) A bubble fest sounds like the perfect remedy.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: What a neat post card with the colored bunnies.

Karen Valentine said...

Hello Marie! Thanks for coming by to visit me and for your comment about me post divider. I really have been having a good time discovering all these cool things to customize my blogs!!! In fact I've been doing a lot of computer work and not a lot of actual art work!!!
I loved this little story about your son. It gave me a warm fuzzy thinking about you and your son blowing bubble gum bubbles all afternoon! My son is grown and out of the house, and stories like that really make me miss the little boy he used to be!

xoxo
Karen

Floss said...

OH well done - I would have been absolutely incapable of helping my boys with this, as I never mastered it myself! It's awful how children are teased for not fitting in, isn't it? (And I don't just mean Anglophone ones in France, just every child everywhere, at some point, it seems.)

I gave in and bought a new card reader - I hope you find your connector soon!

Clueless in Boston said...

Good for Johnny. I never learned how to blow bubbles and have suffered from this deficiency my entire life.

That card looks like it was for Easter.

Carletta said...

I have a few holiday vintage postcards but I must say your collection is very eclectic!
I so remember this bubble gum!
Penny candy in my day. :)

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

lorhen82 said...

You're such a good mommy to take the time to help him learn to blow bubbles! That's so cute! When I was little, I used to buy those long Bubs Daddy bubble gums. My mom and grandma hated the smell...apple, grape, watermelon...they were delicous! I would put so much of it in my mouth at a time, that my cheek would look like I had a golf ball in it! ~Lori

Luna ( from Brazil ) said...

Dear Marie,
I'm always intrigued when I see my sister or brother doing this... When the perfumed gum-ballon pops off I get scared!
Anyway, from their happy faces I guess this thing must taste really good but I haven't ever tried it.
By the way, I saw your banania movie and it's so cool!
Thanks for your kind visits to my blog! I really appreciate your comments!
Purrs and love
Luna

Sparky said...

Oh, that's so cute! And I love chewing gum but can't chew for 2 more years. That's when the braces come off. So, I have to wait. RATS!! tee hee :o)) xx

PS: When you're in the States, let us know. Maybe we can visit sometime? Alabama is do-able for us. ((Hugs))

Janie said...

I'm so glad that you and Johnny have developed this important skill! Now he'll be way out ahead of the other kids and will suffer teasing no more.

Robin said...

cute card....

I was pretty good at blowing bubbles and was quite pleased with myself until one day when a boy who sat next to me in third grade began blowing bubbles using his own spit. He would roll small bubbles, one at a time, off the tip of his tongue and they would float across the classroom. I was so take by this feat that I ran home and tried to the same. Needless to say, I was never able to do it.

Hope you and yours are enjoying a beautiful weekend.

Pietro Brosio said...

Lovely and joyful postcard, Marie!

Tina said...

ha ha it does sound like fun! ill have to try some chewin too!

RA said...

I don't know why kids can be so cruel sometimes. You did great by turning a situation like this into something very pleasant. I love your CC entry! Have a wonderful week, Marie.

Brooke said...

And now he's got mad bubble gum skills :) (In kid lingo, that's a good thing... )

srp said...

What a wonderful card... I don't remember these but I do remember the bubblegum with baseball cards in it for the boys. Then they started making packets with little tiny stickers that had one or two word sayings on them. It is a miracle my teeth aren't rotted out... I chewed so many of them.... mainly for the stickers.

maryt/theteach said...

What a good mom you are! :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

Those are some life lessons! How great that you taught him how to blow bubbles and also spent a great afternoon with your son.

Mia said...

Kids can be so mean :-( but lucky him, that he has you as a mum, to turn the problem into something fun instead :-)
Hope you had a great weekend.

Beth Niquette said...

Hahaa--how great is that? Great story, cool pic.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Absolutely love this card...reminders of the past :) As a child I loved chewing Double Bubble...I am in Canada and I don't know if they still sell it here...now you are prompting me to look when I go to the store!

Thank you for following my blog. I love that it brought me here to follow yours and see your wonderful art pieces.

Lee Spangler said...

I think it also had a comic strip inside. Chewed it often, got plenty at Halloween.

Queenie Jeannie said...

That is so beyond sweet that you took the time to teach your son that. You are one cool Mom!!

No clue how you *found* me, but sure glad you did!!!!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Hi Marie! Thank you for following my blog.
I thought I would stop by yours and see what its all about...

It is so unique! I actually printed a few of the funny ones (greetings from the "whole family") to pin up next to my desk.

P.s. I LOVED Dubble Bubble as a child!