ABC Wednesday - 'U' for Umbrella

umbrella vintage postcard

I've always liked the French expression: Il pleut des cordes (It's raining rope). When it is really pouring, it does almost seem like the raindrops are joined together into long, twisty ropes stretching from sky to ground!

hehehe....... I like it when it rains men too! Hallelujah!



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

52 cool cats commented:

Maria Berg said...

I love that song TOO!
In sweden we have a saying "Regnet står som spön i backen"
and the meaning is something like Rain falling like small small straight tree.

/MB

Pat said...

I like 'Il pleut des hallebardes,' but those are more dangerous. Here they say it's raining "...like from a cable,' meaning, I guess, that the cable in question is more like a pipe. Lotsa water anyway.

NatureFootstep Photo said...

beautiful card. Where do you find them all? They are about a hundred year are they not?

Unknown said...

Another great way to describe the rain falling! Right now, it's not raining like cats and dogs tho!! Very hot and humid here.

Elv Freiheit said...

Oh my god!! I'm so happy you found my blog! I love yours! I collect vintage postcards. Your blog is beautiful!

Rinkly Rimes said...

I rather like the term pique-nique. But then I love the sound of all things French. And your PCs are a delight.

Jientje said...

I love that song!!

I've never heard of raining rope? Raining cats and dogs, yes?

Veronica Lee said...

I never heard of 'raining rope' too!!

Maggi said...

lol That song is catchy!

Polly Forns said...

I LOVED that video ... I had never seen it before nor heard the song! You are so sharp to come up with all these cool posts!

penny said...

My what a sweet face on that child in the postcard...

Ebie said...

I love the vintage effect!

Anonymous said...

One of my fav songs. Did you make the girl's photo or did find it in an old album? It is so sweet - I like the red bow. And stamp gives a touch of happy feeling - imagine recieving this by mail - how sweet!

Irene said...

Love your postcard. Tell me about ABC Wednesday.

Roger Owen Green said...

Never heard, "It's raining rope". In the US, don't hear the expression "raining cats and dogs" as often as I used to.
Irenka, read about ABC Wednesday here. Might even find my most recent post mentioned in the comments.

Prospero said...

Le parasol est charmant.

I suppose I can't really consider myself a cool cat (obvious reasons).

Luna ( from Brazil ) said...

wow Marie!
I didn't know this expression in French, very neat!My mommy use to say "it's raining "cats and dogs", when in fact it's raining a lot! LOL
Anyway...Just in case I've always had a look at the sky when she says it because could you imagine that, raining "cute kitties and cats"!! :-)
By the way here in my place , it is really raining since last night.I was wondering if that adorable girl could borrow her umbrella for me!!!???Lovely postcard !
Love,
your friend
Luna

kml said...

What a beautiful postcard!

In the US we say it's raining cats and dogs. Don't know why - but it always made me feel really for them!

Rune Eide said...

I might prefer Rainy Day Women, but I liked the post!

Daryl said...

THIS is perfect for us here in the NYC area where our weather person insisted several times during the forecast that it WAS NOT GOING TO RAIN TODAY ... well I believed her and on the way to the office I walked in WET AIR some would describe as RAIN ... ahem ...

ilyani said...

whoa I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this song!! though I didnt know there was an earlier version than Geri Halliwell's :P Weather girls rock too!

Mara said...

Pijpenstelen which would be the handles of (smoking) pipes. More wetness!

Miss_Yves said...

"It pours cats and dogs" ...Isn'it the english translation ?
Lovely postcard, as
Usual!

Gunilla said...

I really like that song too.

I love the vintage postcards.
Fantastic.

Thank´s for visiting me I really appreciate it.

Gunilla in Sweden

B i r g i t t a said...

A really lovely picture! So sweet and the umbrella is perfect as the U-word :)
Thanks for your comment!

Mia said...

Again a lovely postcard, she is so sweet with those cute curls and red bow. And quite funny with the stamp on the front.
The cat just have a bit of an upset stomach at the moment, don’t know if it is hair balls or him eating too much for his little stomach to handle.
I love 40’s makeup and hair, you are going to be such a pretty bride :) just write if you need some pointers :) I am thinking 40’s 50’s or old Greek for my wedding, can’t decide :)

Joy said...

I like the french expression. Not heard that song for a while, what great voices, go girls.

Lee Spangler said...

I am a stamp collector and have some postcartds too. Maybe we can talk further.Thanks for your kind thoughts about my post.
Lee

Pietro Brosio said...

In Italian we say piove a dirotto, nothing to do with ropes: dirotto is the past participle of dirompere that means to fall in large quantity and violently.

Carolina said...

I love this post!

And I loved your comment to mine. Hehehe, do you really come to Holland for your holidays? Why? The Dutch always go to France. Thát I can understand ;-)

I hope you were trying to figure out my Dutch blog and not my English. I'm trying so hard to write understandable and correct English. I haven't posted on my Dutch one for ages. Nobody reads it anyway ;-)

Lesson 1: het regent pijpestelen
(il pleut tiges des pipes?) My French is abonimable.

jay said...

I love that song too!

I've heard it said in England 'It's coming down like stair-rods', which is another way of saying the same thing, I suppose. Long metallic rods of rain ... although ropes sounds more poetic. Especially in French!

Tina said...

i like the rain too! the black and white girl picture is lovely with the red rose

Will said...

Interesting site. I actually wanted to comment on your post on Banania, but could not get to that page. Cool post---one that grabs the attention.

Betsy Brock said...

I've never heard of that expression! I think I like it better than "cats and dogs" :)

Beverley Baird said...

I loved the video and the postcard.
What a combination!
Here in Canada we say it is raining "cats and dogs" as well.
Take care.

Terry said...

Hi Marie
Beautiful postcard sweet lady.
Oh my this is so much better than raining cats and dogs :)
the you tube was fun.
You always make me smile when I come to visit.
Happy Trails
Hugs

MulticulturalMom said...

A beautiful blog, what a lovely idea. Do you share your images on Flickr as well? Though its probably more interesting to be able to tell the story behind each picture. See you on MBC soon!

Shannon said...

I love this. What a great phrase. The next time it rains here in the states I'll test it out and see if I get any strange looks!

These really are such beautiful postcards that you find!

EG CameraGirl said...

The little girl is so cute with her umbrella. Raining rope sounds interesting, but raining MEN sounds INTERESTING. ;-)

Starman said...

Ah oui, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg.

Clueless in Boston said...

Ain't idioms wonderful? Love the old postcard.

magiceye said...

wonderful post!

Danielle said...

What a funny song!

MissRedLips said...

lol! that is just the video i needed to watch today :-)

Tumblewords: said...

Too neat! Love the photos and the narrative...

Witchcrafted Life said...

That card is so fantastically adorable! I think it would make an amazing print, framed and hanging in a bathroom, where one could imagine the umbrella was keeping the all sorts of showers at bay :D


Big hugs & many happy Thursday wishes,
♥ Jessica

Karyn said...

Love the little girl under the umbrella! Great choice. I've never heard the term "raining rope" but I have been in a few rainstorms where that term would be appropriate.

Kristin - The Goat said...

What a totally fascinating saying - It's raining rope. Very cool!

RA said...

LOL. I love your sense of humor, Marie :). I think raindrops are so beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend.

Debby said...

She is just delightful.
Debby

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I love this idea of posting things in alpha order - I'm going to try it this summer.
Evelyn in Montreal

Janie said...

I've never heard the expression "raining rope", but I like it. We rarely get that kind of rain in Utah, though.