Spot's Sanctuary





Stephen Huneck is an eclectic folk artist from Vermont who welcomes all creeds and all breeds to his doggie chapel. After a near death experience, Stephen Huneck had a vision to build Spot's sanctuary.



This whimsical whittler of dog statues and furniture wanted to create a place where people could go and celebrate the spiritual bond they have with their dogs. He believes that dogs are the 'great spirit's special gift to mankind'






The chapel's interior walls are plastered with posts from visitors who have lost a pet and want them to be remembered. These handwritten remembrances, photographs, and postcards create a very powerful statement.




Degas had his ballerinas. Monet had his water lilies..... Stephen Huneck has man's best friend as his muse.

  




9 cool cats commented:

Miss_Yves said...

Very original !
There is a cementary for dogs near Paris, at Asnières
Miss Yves
PS I know the stamp "art de l'affiche" I have used it for Mail Art

Anonymous said...

This is art after my own heart! Our old lady Labrador, Pricilla Presley Reed, (Prissy for short) looks just like the doggy in the stained glass... except Prissy has a grey goatee. Dog is God spelled backwards. Enough said.

Miss_Yves said...

Mary,
I'll answer to your differnt comments later , because I 'm busy.
Thanks for visiting .
My mailarts have been sent to different people , no one is for sale!
Miss Yves

Jane Hards Photography said...

Oh I just love this. Deidcated to dogs and some funky artwork. My kind of post.

Tiffany said...

Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog. I just love these pictures of Spot's Sanctuary. Too cute!

Mya said...

what an interesting post. such a cute little sanctuary and I love the pet cematary in Paris. Kinda creepy though in a Stephen King sort of way.
-Mya

Daryl said...

While I am owned by two cats, I love dogs .. this is a wonderful post .. I so enjoy the photos

And your cousin Luigi was charming!

:-Daryl

Anonymous said...

How awesome...I'd like to visit this place some day. There are several pet cemeterys here in St. Louis....and I didn't even think of Stephen King until you mentioned it.

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Glad you liked my design...I love it too...and it was FREE!!! Even better!!!

Miss_Yves said...

Hello, Mary,
Nice video ! It was funny to see, in the beginning, a black cat running out !
Could you explain to me the literary allusion to Stephen King ?
Miss Yves