Spam Wins Wars



Spam was a life saving tinned meat staple during World War II.



It was the ideal combat ration because it could be shipped easily and didn't have an expiration date! Fresh meat was just difficult to get to soldiers at the front. By mid-war, Hormel was producing 15 million cans of Spam for the troops each week. The soldiers stormed the beaches of Normandy, raised the flag, and then ate Spam.




In the United States beef was rationed and expensive. You had to present you war time coupon book in order to get a slab. Spam didn't fall under the same restrictions. It was tooted as a miracle meat. 'Eaten cold or hot, Spam hits the spot!'



Here is the gelatinous Monty Python Spam Sketch! It's Spamtastic!


You can now subscribe via email to this vintage postcard blog! Just tap in your email address and feed blitz will send the daily post straight to your inbox! Ohlala, I can't wait to see you again!

vintage postcards

15 cool cats commented:

Marie Reed said...

OK.. I've never actually eaten Spam. Have you? I think that Spam sushi might be good (That's how they eat it in Hawaii) With loooots of wasabi so that you can't actually taste the meat treat!

Anonymous said...

SPAM sucks! That is an American expression that means it is very bad. LOL. We ate SPAM during world war II and it is not good and the taste is one you never forget. We got a can of SPAM not long ago as a kind of reminder of what it used to taste like and it still sucks.

Marie Reed said...

Honest Abe! Thank you so much for serving in the war. You are a true hero. I salute you!

David said...

Marie, thanks for the trip down memory lane - Love that Monty Python. There was a piece on the news that the sales of Spam are up in the US as families deal with the increased costs of food and gasoline. I don't believe that I've ever eaten Spam - and I have no intentions of trying it either. David

Starman said...

I have eaten Spam. When I was a kid I kind of liked it, but now, not so much. It's very salty and doesn't taste like anything else I can think of at the moment.

Blog Bee said...

I have never eaten Spam, but the cards are cool!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Oh no i've got that monty python spam son in my head now. I have had spam when I was a lot younger. A veggie now. It was a cheap and cheerful food, and slowly dying out when I was young, but I have noticed it's made a comeback in the UK. Do remember it being salty. I will have to peek into shopping baskets and see if anyone is still buying it.

Marie Reed said...

I read that they actually used to sell fried battered and fried spam at fish and chip shops in the UK .....longgg ago!

Pat said...

I remember my grandparents trying to feed me SPAM. Argh. I'll be on vacation for two weeks starting tomorrow, so won't be able to visit. (I've used scheduled posting on my blog; hope it works.)

Unknown said...

Wow I never knew spam was for the war! I am a closet Spam eater! It tastes GREAT fried!

Sandy:)

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Gosh i remember Spam! And now i wish i hadn't....

Katie said...

Perfect timing Marie, as Spam has just launched a hip new advertising campaign on TV here in the States. With the price of food skyrocketing, they're trying to convince people that it's a cheap alternative to beef. Um, I'm not sure I'm buying that!! Cool cards though, and thanks for the Monty Python Spam link!

Anonymous said...

Well, ladies and gentlemen

As the froggie of the blog I invite you all in Burgundy to have SPAM cooked with that lovely corsican sauce usually made for Corsican cochon (see a previous post from Marie)

Take care

Anonymous said...

Meme Jean (my mom) was (and still is, gratefully) a genius at making chicken salad out of chicken... well, you know. We had spam fried with eggs and toast when we had breakfast for dinner. We had it cut into cubes in various salads. We had Spam sandwiches with cheese & dill pickles. I don't know if the Spam was actully any good but Mom was Spamtastic!

Anonymous said...

Spam is delicious. I don't know why it's gotten such a bad rap from people who have never eaten it. It's made from pork shoulder and ham. And as far as pork goes, those are decent cuts. If you're not a vegetarian, try it. You may be surprised.