Cardus Maximus Vintage Postcards

Did you realize that these vintage postcards actually show the oldest street in Paris? I was happy to learn this history tidbit. What is now called Rue Saint-Martin was called Cardus Maximus by the Romans.


The Cardus Maximus was always a north-south oriented street according to ancient Roman city planning. It was the hub of economic life and was buzzing with shops and merchants. But this Cardus Maximus is even older even than the Holy Roman Empire, archaeologists claim. It lies atop the Bronze Age trade route that linked northern Europe via Lutèce—the Celtic settlement of the Parisii tribe—to the Mediterranean!


Please subscribe here to my cpaphil - vintage postcard blog. Ohlala, I can't wait to see you again!


10 cool cats commented:

Millhill said...

I have never been to Paris...boohoo...but these old photos are so interesting! Now that I am older, I really enjoy historical stories and photographs.

Starman said...

Was just there the other day.

David said...

Marie, I recognize the second postcard as Portes St-Denis. It seems odd to find a arc in the middle of a neighborhood and so close to the buildings. One expects to find these on wide thoroughfares.

Katie said...

More GREAT postcards! I really love these amazing old views of my favorite city.

But doesn't "Cardus Maximus" mean "She Who Owns the Most Postcards"?

Marie Reed said...

dh4j - That's the wonderful thing about postcards! You can visit Paris through them:)

starman- Did you take ant pictures while wou were there?

David - Your right! These gates are where the original entrances to Paris were when it was a walled fortified city:)

Katie - You are a riot! Maybe I should change my shop name to Cardus Maximus! It would be catchy and clever!

Starman said...

And just a couple blocks away is the Porte St-Martin

Katie said...

Love your new blog design Marie! Glad you like the Cardus Maximus name -- that just cracked me up, and it so fits your business!

B said...

Oh, wow! I know this archway! I stayed very close by on my last trip to Paris and one morning, I had coffee at a cafe right next to this archway. The experience was so wonderful and I was enamored with the archway, feeling its history and significance. I had no idea that it is the oldest street in Paris and to see this incredible vintage postcard!! Absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this history!! Have I mentioned how much I love coming to your blog?! :)

Marie Reed said...

b - You're comment has made my day. Blogging is so peachy keen!

B said...

Well, you so deserve it. Blogging is pretty great!!