'Y' is for Yams - ABC Wednesday

yams vintage postcard
My son John has gone wacky for yams! He lives and breathes the sweet orange fleshed tuber. He even wanted leftover yam casserole for breakfast! It's all thanks to this blessed vintage Honest John crate label. Soooooo.... I'm in the process of photoshopping other veggie labels to include his name! How does Big John's Broccoli sound?

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

48 cool cats commented:

Karyn said...

Whatever works, Marie!

Personally, I love these vintage lables almost as much as I love the veggies!

Roger Owen Green said...

I love the fact that there are Pittsburgs (or Pittsburghs) in Kansas and Texas as well as Pennsylvania.

But on someone else's post, you beat me to the rubber duckie reference!

photowannabe said...

Smart lady. I agree, what ever works. First Yam post I have seen this go around.

Rune Eide said...

Lovely label, but since yams are not much used around here I'm adraid I have never tastes one...

claude said...

I have already eaten some yams in Martinique island.

Maria Berg said...

Well I have to try thay too, so my kids will eat. Please one day I want you to hear you sing the duck song...LOL

The neckless will go out with the post today, MB

Jama said...

I'm not a big fan of yam, even though it's easily available here.

vicki archer said...

This postcard is just the best (maybe even better than the vegetable...) xv

magiceye said...

yammy!

Irene said...

I've a weakness for yams myself, lol

Sparky said...

I love sweet taters, Honest Injun!! ha ha :o)

♥peachkins♥ said...

Love yams too..Happy RT!

Nancy said...

My son loved yams. It was one of his favorite first foods. Taylor (label) yams for Taylor!!!

Loved your video about potatoes, too. Your research is great, and your delivery is just the best. Look forward to more.

I'm almost finished with my "stars" project and will do a post soon.

Maggi said...

LOL That is awesome! I agree with him, yams are so good!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I am originall from the "Black Country" in the UK and people there are known as yam yams. Not for the food but the dialect."where yam yow a gooin'" - Where is one going" No I don't have the accent. Love the Yarn Yams, where do you find this stuff.

Lowell said...

I'm trying to remember where Pittsburg, Texas is...I lived in the state of 15 years...and the name is sorta familiar...

Yams are good. "Honest" John I'm not so sure about.

OK, I'll quit "yammering" and go back to work!

Betsy Brock said...

Oh, that's cute! I love yams!

Beverley Baird said...

Love it!
What a way to honour your son, have fun with ABC Wed. and use vintage stuff!

The Prodigal Tourist said...

We all love yams, even the young one. Those old labels are so charming, aren't they? Remember the old posters they had too?

Witchcrafted Life said...

Yams are so fantastic! I love to slice them into narrow wedges and bake them with a sprinkling of rosemary, sea salt and parmesan - simply heavenly! :)


Have a wonderful day, my dear!
♥ Jessica

Reader Wil said...

Good choice! I like yams too. I ate them frequently when I was a child in Indonesia, only we called them "ketella".

Miss_Yves said...

On this postcard,"Honest John" seems... honest and sympathetic ! Yes , He do !
I've never eaten Yams ...

Jackie said...

I love your blog, there is so much to look at! And I love the label :) Also thanks for leaving a sweet comment on my blog!

Buckeroomama said...

With my son, I've sometimes had to resort to these "tactics," too.

Like Karyn said --Whatever works! :)

CBS Radio said...

THE GOOD LIFE

http://chataboutit.com/about/the-good-life-with-jesse-dylan/

Enthrall your mind, body and spirit with the ultimate fitness experience. Jesse Dylan has 30 years of broadcast experience and polished intellect on health and wellness. His expertise, as long as interviews with best selling authors and health experts, make for a captivating radio show. Tune in to Chat About It Radio TONIGHT from 10-11 PM and enlighten your personal awareness. Take a step forward with your health with Jesse Dylan!

Marie Reed said...

Wow!! I got spammed! It's been ages! I feel so warm and fuzzy inside!

Daryl said...

LOVE yams .. ever had french fried yams .. oh my

Carol said...

Yam is a great Y! Good for your son for even trying them! I think they are great.

lorhen82 said...

You have the most creative parenting techniques of anyone I've ever known! Maybe you SHOULD have another little one!!! ~Lori

Q said...

I am head over heels, crazy, for the yam! They are very yummy!
The vintage labels are cool!
Sherry

Pietro Brosio said...

Are they a sort of potatoes?? Oh yes, they must be!
Good evening, Marie! :-)

Starman said...

I like both yams and sweet potatoes.

Mia said...

Don't think I have ever tasted a Yam, are they like sweet potatos?

p.s. big snacker as well, and are finding diating really difficult at the moment, but I think it is allways like that around week three :)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha... how awesome that seeing his name with the veggie motivates him to eating it... yes, you really need to find more labels...

Floss said...

That's great! My sister wouldn't eat potatoes until someone discovered a recipe called 'Potatoes Anna', which, as she's called Anna, did the trick for her...

Tracking back and looking at your watermelon seed spitting ban, I have to say that seed spitting contests have been a great way of getting our younger son to eat watermelon, cherries etc. The fruit itself doesn't do it for him, but if he can spit a seed then he's all for it!

Veronica Lee said...

Our yams are purplish in colour. Unfortunately, my boys don't find them yammy!!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm crazy about yams too! John has good taste. ;-)

Joy said...

Ah the power of advertising. Good luck with the broccoli

Terry said...

Howdy Marie
Wow this is so cool.
I collect vintage crate labels from Texas, California,and Oklahoma
and have not seen this one before it's so cool.
I have got to get busy and find one of these :)
I am so thrilled your son is eating his yams maybe a few more labels with his name and he will be a very happy boy and Mom will accomplish her goal of feeding him healthy foods :)
Have a fabulous week.
Hugs

Muthering Heights said...

LOL, whatever you have to do!!

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee hee
«Louis» knows where this town is - it is in the Texas Panhandle. «Louis» has even been to this small farming community.

Excellent choice for "Y".

Marie said...

Kiln dried??? I had never heard of that.

happy zombie said...

What a great label! And I ♥ yams... especially in tempura. Or maybe that's sweet potatoes. I never know which is which.

Mara said...

I love those vintage signs and labels, but tend to go for the cat-related ones. But if you can customize them...

Janie said...

Now that's a great way to get a child to eat healthy foods. Just substitute his name in a label! We all know how to photoshop -- at least a little. It could work.

jay said...

Hahaha! Big John's Broccoli sounds great! I love the stuff! LOL!

Great 'Y' post. ;)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: I love it my freind.

Carla said...

I'm not far from Pittsburg Tx, wonder if this guy is still around?