'W' is for Watermelon - ABC Wednesday

watermelon vintage postcard
Francois has BANNED watermelon seed spitting.How dare he put the kibosh on my summer hobby! Hmpf! I don't care if it's 'grossing him out' :) A girl needs to fine tune her skills! The world record is 68 feet and 9 inches... I'm working on it:)



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

41 cool cats commented:

claude said...

I like watermelon. I did never buy any because Mon Chéri does not like. I ate a lot in Spain when I was on vacation over there with my parents whan I was young.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I've got a blog about square watermelon somewhere! Have you seen them?

Jane Hards Photography said...

You know we are on X. You did what I did r for q. Watermelons are so refreshing. Now if I can just have the weather...

mrsnesbitt said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm! Hope this is a taste of the weather in France. We come over in 9 weeks time!

Miri said...

Your lucky you still have watermelons with seeds, here they are all "seedless"!

You've won my 100th post giveaway!
Please send me your snail mail address. :)

Cezar and Léia said...

funny thought!
I loved the red colour in the second picture!
Léia :)

Reader Wil said...

I like watermelons! The one on the bottom photo looks very tasty! The first photo is really great and funny!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

love watermelon here in our house too...but have to confess-no seed spitting, since we like to buy seedless watermelon only :o)

Polly Forns said...

I can remember as a very young teenager watching the "cool big guys" (of about 16) have spitting contests and I used to think that was divine! Of course, I was a lady and NEVER spat :)

Maggi said...

Bad Francois! lol

I l-o-v-e watermelon! Yum!

Gordon said...

Now that's the way to eat watermelon! A fun photo.

penny said...

Yummy... I love watermelon, it always makes me smile :D
Thanks for stopping by... have a wonderful day!

Betsy Brock said...

Mmmmmm...one of the best things about summer! I hope you are outside while you are working on that skill! ;)

Janie said...

Gee, I don't think I approach that world record.
We grew watermelon last year, but I outlawed seed spitting in the house!

Clueless in Boston said...

Watermelon spitting is a grand old tradition, right up thar with tabacky chawing. Keep at it girl! I'm sure you'll do yerself proud. Me, I eat the watermelon - seeds and all.

Carol said...

Love this post...so funny...we are on X???

Pietro Brosio said...

Both very fine pictures, pleasant the red slice!
When I feel thirsty it's better for me a tasteless sparkling mineral water! :-)

Beth Niquette said...

Hahahaa...how cool is that! Watermelon spitting is a national, if not, world-wide pastime. Great blog!

Daryl said...

Francois better learn quickly that banning something makes it all so much more appealing ... and bans are meant to be bent .. spit on!

lorhen82 said...

There is a festival in my area in September that actually has a watermelon seed spitting contest! LOL

I LOVE WATERMELON! I could eat it every day, and that photo you posted of the wedge is making my mouth water! ~Lori

Margo said...

I love watermelon and seed spitting. Good luck on the world record. Sounds difficult to break... to be projected that far the flying seed could put an eye out- be careful!

EG CameraGirl said...

Mmmm. Watermelon! Love the colour in the second postcard and the humour in the first.

George said...

One must have watermelon in the summer. Stick to your guns. Thanks for visiting my site.

Postcardy said...

I was thinking of participating in ABC Wednesday but decided not to link. However, I did post a watermelon postcard last week for W.

Loni Edwards said...

Oh yummy! When I was young, I went with a friend to her Grandpa's farm in Arkansas. Her Stepdad backed up the pickup and we loaded the whole thing full of watermelons. Then we cracked some open and ate them, all warm, juices running down our faces. It was delicious! Thanks for bringing back a fun memory!

From the Old InkWell said...

Marie, thanks for stopping to comment on my blog. You should take a trip to Alaska. It is a beautiful place. I always enjoy your posts! Happy 4th.

Starman said...

68 feet and 9 inches??? That must have been one heavy seed. Or was the spitter on top of a building?

Q said...

Very nice photographs!
July is watermelon time at my house!
Sherry

Mia said...

Want watermelon so much after seeing/reading this :)
It was my favorite fruit as a child, but don’t seem to be able to find any good ones now as a grownup :(

twinkle teaches said...

Mmm! Watermelons! I never knew they were so big like in the postcard. I guess we have smaller ones here in Oklahoma. I prefer seedless watermelons and grapes. I have seen the square ones. They are the same as round only grown inside a cement block square center. :)
tina

Steve Buser said...

Go for it. Practice, perfect practice, the record will be yours.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Nothing beats a seed spittin' contest in the summer! I love watermelon!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Nothing beats a seed spittin' contest in the summer! I love watermelon!

Wiregrass Steve said...

Tell him it is an unnatural act to eat watermelon without proper seed spittin'. Go for the record.

Witchcrafted Life said...

Watermelon is one the best and most time-honoured of summer joys! Pair it with feta, onions and fresh herbs and you've got my favourite warm weather salad ever! :)


Wishing you a fantastic day,
♥ Jessica

Karyn said...

I love watermelon - especially 'seeded' watermelon. We cannot seem to get the real thing in our stores anymore - only the 'seedless' kind. They are not nearly as tasty and sweet.

I laughed at your postcard of watermelon eating.

Vodka Mom said...

watermelon is one of my VERY favorite things!!!

kRiZcPEc said...

I love watermelon! Very juicy!

Jessica Rodarte said...

gasp... Francois. Did. Not. I'm literally eating watermelon browsing around blog land, and I'm going to spit a big one several feet away. (And then, I'm going to pick it up and throw it in the trash because I have an ant problem).

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Bonsoir Marie, Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my Skywatch Friday post just now. That watermelon photo is just mouth-wateringly wonderful! And go for it - spit those pips!
Janice.

Kay said...

My husband's favorite food passion is watermelon. We just bought two yesterday. We are so lazy, we buy seedless.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. It's led me to yours which I love. You've got a great blog!