French Giraffe Mania in 1827

Parisians started seeing spots in 1827! Giraffe mania spread after the Pasha of Egypt offered this extraordinary long necked gift to King Charles X of France. Fabrics, furniture, wallpaper, porcelain, and even soap were decorated with a giraffe pattern. Women piled their hair up fashionably à la giraffe. This high in the sky chignon was supported by wire frames and often decorated with giraffe inspired ribbons . Oh la la!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

34 cool cats commented:

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Marie,
always looking forward to your next postcard and the fun facts and info you have with it!

Oh my! I can NOT imagine a sky-high hairdo that is giraffe-inspired!

(have you had the opportunity to sing the abc's & hiccup, yet? :o)

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Thanks for your comment this morning...you made me SMILE! Love the giraffe/hair/history lesson today! Always a treat to visit your blog!

Daryl said...

Ah the amazing trivia I have learned here ... this is especially fascinating

Polly Forns said...

High HAIR! I would love it, lol... My family and I are at the beach for a week enjoying the sun and surf! Have a happy Monday sweet girl!

Maggi said...

Wow, I would love to see pictures of those giraffe hair dos!

Buckeroomama said...

You do come out with all these fun factoids along with these very nice postcards! :)

Silver said...

Hi hi!! i adore giraffes. They are so cute! I've got some decors giraffe-inspired themes- they are great in the garden (got some wood carved ones from Indonesia), some clay ones from Perth, picture frames and stuff from all over..

tried to listen to you on the vid. Seems to take forever to load..i've got slow connection here. :(

Silver said...

yay..i just got to hear that "quirky potato history".. hehe. very fun and educational, Ms Marie! I feel like i was back in kinder class with a very sweet and kind teacher helping me on my first important lesson..

Irene said...

I've always wanted a giraffe. Thanks for a great post.

Fifi Flowers said...

Giraffes are such beautiful animals!

KayC. said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog! I didn't know that giraffes were so popular back then, very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Candy said...

Speaking of smilin'...that's what Kermy does for me every time his pops in.

Interesting little history lesson there. Oh, there is soooo much to learn and see. Thanks for sharing your corner of the world with us.

Cheers,
Candy

Frieda Babbley said...

Your blog is fantastic. And I love this post - giraffe's are a fave of mine. I think I must be a 1827 incarnate.

Melissa said...

Your blog is simply beautiful.

Thank you for stopping by Sunbonnet Cottage. I am so glad that you did, it gave me a chance to meet you.

Melissa

Starman said...

It never ceases to amaze me what woman will do to themselves just to be in fashion.

Rune Eide said...

A high and mighty guest!

PS If you are interested in a blog on giraffes, with a somewhat slanted view on life, have a look at this one.

Reader Wil said...

Well that's interesting! So at that time there were also trend setters, in this case the giraffe! Very nice post, Marie!

JamaGenie said...

Giraffes inspired a way up do! Who knew? Giraffes are one of my faves, btw. Thanks!

Mia said...

I have allways liked Giraffe print :) wish I could get a summer dress with giraffe pring :)

P.s. The boy in the striped pyjamas, was very sad :(

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Giraffes are my favorite animals. Fabulous trivia!

Sparky said...

Giraffe's are so funny looking. They almost look like a celestrial mistake. [giggle] :o)

James said...

A few months ago I saw a vintage postcard exhibit at the New York Met. I think your bog is better.

Veronica Lee said...

That was an interesting lesson. I love giraffes!!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm very surprised that giraffe's were in Paris that long ago. Hmmm. Even back then fashion was sometimes crazy, eh?

debra@dustjacket said...

When I see your little Kermy on my comments box, it just makes me happy just looking at him. Thank you for kind comments.:)

Sara K said...

Do you have any postcards showing the giraffe inspired hairstyle?

Duchess of Tea said...

Welcome, I am so glad you dropped by my cottage. I visited you site and find it fascinating. It is loaded with interesting posts and lovely pics. I couldn't believe the number of followers you have...how did you do it? I will be back later this week when I am not at work and will spend time reading your current and archived posts. I am going now to sign up as a follower to your site. I am so glad you stopped by!! Please visit me again and next time if you have a moment, please join my (18) followers, I will appreciate it.
Talk to you soon

jeanne said...

Hello Marie, I do love your info about the giraffe mania. Think about it, we still love giraffes. Love your vintage postcard info.

Thank you for your visit today.

Hugs...Jeanne

Witchcrafted Life said...

Giraffe inspired hairstyles, oh my, that certainly is going to great (neck) lengths for the sake of fashion :D

Charming and interesting post, sweetie!

Wishing you a bright and joyful week!
♥ Jessica

Margo said...

Giraffe hair? I love it. Giraffe eyelashes be nice too. Some days I think my hair looks like a water buffalo.

Lowell said...

Giraffes are very tall. The mania you speak of is the height of human goofiness. So to speak.

I'm glad the French finally let their hair down and got some sense and became like lions with flowing manes. Well, some girls I saw in Paris had flowing manes. Among other things.

;-)

tapirgal said...

Any giraffe is cool, but the one in the frame is special! I love these wonderful images you post!

lorhen82 said...

Those French women were so imaginative! I've never once looked at an animal and thought..."Gee, I should make my hair look that that beastie!" LOL ~Lori

Janine said...

I have a book about that phenomenon.
Paris went crazy when that animal arrived.
And the "mode a la girafe" was the "dernier cri".
By the way, her name was Zafira.