Postcard Friendship Friday #27 - Shakespeare and Pancakes

vintage postcards

Pancakes! Delish! Shakespeare mentioned this flat treat in the play Pericles, Prince of Tyre.


"Come, thou shant go home, and we'll have flesh for holidays, fish for fasting-days, and moreo'er puddings and flap-jacks, and thou shalt be welcome."

Poor William didn't have an artificial super saturated sugar solution to douse on his cakey indulgance though! Happy PFF:)



W
elcome to this weeks Postcard Friendship Friday! If you're visiting and would like to join in the fun we would be thrilled;) It's easy! All you need to do is:

1. Have a blast with this mail theme! Examples include: any type of postcard, a photo of a mailbox, mailman, a stamp image, postcard altered art, or simply a photo of something that you find 'Postcard Perfect' etc etc etc!
2. Link in with Mr.Linky at the bottom of this post
3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what a blog party is all about!
4. Link back to the party from your post so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is talking about today! Please grab the badge if you'd like to add a bit of PFF colour to your post:)




47 cool cats commented:

Polly Forns said...

What a great Dad on this postcard! Pancakes make me sick but all my grands sure love them!

Betsy Brock said...

That is such a cute ad!

Janie said...

I'm sure Shakespeare was better off for the lack of syrup, but I like my flapjacks drowned in it.

MrCachet said...

I remember going to the Fred Boss Farm Market as a youngster of about six to get my plate of pancakes with Log Cabin Syrup on them - served by Aunt Jemima. First Black woman I'd ever seen.

Postcardy said...

You have such an interesting collection of trivia.

phil said...


But you notice, Marie, Shakespeare never wrote about French Toast.
:P

Terry said...

Howdy Marie
What a great post !
Happy Postcard Friendship Friday to you .
We love to make and eat pancakes in our family .
It is somewhat of a special family thing we do every now and then.
Hope you are having the best week ever.
Blessings of joy to you and yours.
Hugs
Happy Trails

Blogaire said...

Mmmmm ... love pancakes. When I was a kid I used to make my Mother put raisins in mine. I was telling my friends' daughter recently and she said "yuck - that's gross!". Mind you, I also like cheese & banana sandwiches...
Happy Pancake Postcard Friendship Friday!

Robin said...

Oh what a great postcard!
What do you suppose they put on their flapjacks back then? :-)

Have a beautiful weekend

Unknown said...

Yum! I even love pancakes for dinner!

steviewren said...

I had no idea the words flap-jacks had been part of the language for so long. I love your card. Funny, I posted advertising cards this week too. Great minds think alike and all that jazz.....

Paul van Yperen said...

Thanks Marie for the nice fifties ad postcard, but I have to say "NO!" to pancakes. I'm on a very necessary diet.

peggy gatto said...

Thanks for the memories!
http://wwwpeggysamusement.blogspot.com/2009/07/postcard-friendship-friday_30.html

Unknown said...

I love pancakes, nice and warm with maple syrup. Yum! There's a chain called Paddington Pancakes ib Kuala Lumpur.

Four-eyed-missy said...

Soksabay, Marie!
I'm back again for this week's PFF :)

Postcards Crossing

Carole said...

Happy PPF!

Love the postcard!

pchickki said...

Hello my friend
Are you still in the States and did you get the package I sent to you Mother for you?

Were you happy with it?

Hope you are having a good time!
Hugs
Patti

Anonymous said...

lovely post

Floss said...

Oh, yum! Did you know that we get two Pancake Days in our household? In the UK, Shrove Tuesday is Pancake Day, and everyone makes pancakes (traditionally to use up fat and flour before Lent begins). We've brought that tradition here to France and added it to the French 'Chandeleur', which happens a few weeks earlier, and is also a pancake feast (with a nice story behind it). February is pancake month for us!

PS Are flapjacks pancakes in American? They are oaty biscuit-bars in British English! I bet Shakespeare meant pancakes, though, as the biscuit-bars have ingredients he couldn't have known.

Janine said...

This advertising is so funny, but the pancakes look so sticky and sweet, that my teeth hurt when I see them (lol)

Anonymous said...

I used to love pancake mornings. They made you full all day. Love this ad.

SparkleFarkel said...

I love your name for pancakes! Mind if I thief-off with the new-to-me moniker? If permission granted, from now on in the SparkleFarkle kingdom, hot cakes will be known as Flat Treats! Thanks! And an "Aw, poor Bill!" to Shakespeare. I can't imagine eating Flat Treats without maple surple!

Mia said...

What a perfect combination, yummy pancakes and Shakespeare :)

Have a Lovely weekend

Sheila said...

I had to look up that flap-jack reference because it means a chewy oat bar to me! They're yummy too. :)

Vicky said...

yummy i love pancakes especially the Malaysian variety...

Aimee said...

I love pancakes...but I'm weird, I don't eat syrup!

claude said...

Sometimes I cook pancakes with jam or chocolate for my husband. Good for breakfast. Since I came back from America i began a diet. I lost almost 10 pounds.

Clytie said...

Love the guy in the frilly apron! What a MAN!

We have several blueberry bushes and, in season, I like to gather a handful to cook into my pancakes for a wonderful, sweet-without-syrup breakfast.

Shako said...

Aha mwahah! I love pancakes nom nom! How long has PFF been going on for?
Chew that pancake. Swallow that pancake. Digest that pancake. Sweet!

Shako said...

Aha mwahah! I love pancakes nom nom! How long has PFF been going on for?
Chew that pancake. Swallow that pancake. Digest that pancake. Sweet!

Starman said...

Yummy! I haven't had pancakes in forever.

Debby said...

Great ad!!! I love pancakes...YUM!!!!
Debby

The Redhead Riter said...

for you...

http://theredheadriter.blogspot.com/2009/08/secrets-friends-and-sharing.html

twinkle teaches said...

Love it! I am going to print this because my husband is our cook. :)
tina

maryt/theteach said...

I love the pancakes! :)y Vintage post card is us! :) Have a happy weekend! :)

Sparky said...

I love pancakes, especially with real maple syrup. [drool] I wish they weren't so fattening. :)

Witchcrafted Life said...

What an adorable ad! We've been able to get blueberries at a very decent price lately and have thus been whipping up batches of blueberry pancakes almost every other day! So tasty, if I may say so myself :)


Wishing you a beautiful Sunday, honey!
♥ Jessica

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

How do you do it!!! Can't help but repeat myself again and again! I love your postcards, ads, videos, etc, etc, etc... and the fun facts you post with them!

I continue to become so so so much knowledgeable with these fun tid-bits of info! Hey, I could even become Jeapordy-contestant-material worthy.

Tina said...

love these old fashioned cards. i wish they would bring some of this back into the modern world. i love retro!

MrCachet said...

Marie - you left a comment on my blog, and if you are really interested, send me an email, please. I will reply with the particulars of the subscription.

kRiZcPEc said...

Gotta love it. Thanks for sharing

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

Marie,
Got here a week later, but it was my birthday on July 31st and I was very busy.:)

I remember that ad and the whole pancakes on Sunday thing. We used to have bagels and lox.:) When my kids came I used to have pancakes on Sunday.:)

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Wonderful post.I have two brothers who are alway fussing about who makes the best pancakes.They both make the best pancakes.I love to visit my brothers for breakfast...Yummmmm XXOO Marie Antionette

Beth Niquette said...

I had NO idea Shakespear knew about flapjacks!!!

What a cunning idea--and a lovely blog, by the way!

sunnymama said...

I love pancakes! Great post :)

anne said...

Now I think I'm hungry...

bridechic said...

I actually remember these ads.