Prost! Oktoberfest is here! - Postcard Friday #40



Oktoberfest actually started out as a horse race! Prince Ludwig of Bavaria wanted his people to share in the celebration of his marriage to the blushing bride Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen   on October 12, 1810. He invited all of Munich to the galloping festivities!  A good time and apparently copious amounts of beer were had by all in that first year so it was turned into a yearly tradition:) Happy Postcard Friday!!




W
elcome to this weeks Postcard Friendship Friday! If you're visiting and would like to join in the fun we would be thrilled;) It's easy! All you need to do is:

1. Have a blast with this mail theme! Examples include: any type of postcard, a photo of a mailbox, mailman, a stamp image, postcard altered art, or simply a photo of something that you find 'Postcard Perfect' etc etc etc!
2. Link in with Mr.Linky at the bottom of this post
3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what a blog party is all about!
4. Link back to the party from your post so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is talking about today! Please grab the badge if you'd like to add a bit of PFF colour to your post:)

 

27 cool cats commented:

Daryl said...

I once worked with a guy who went to Germany every year for Oktoberfest .. he even sent me a postcard which I posted a while back during PFF!

Janine said...

I love to learn so many interesting things about my country from you (he he he).
Again, you made me cleverer.

steviewren said...

Let the partying begin!

I sat down last night and worked up a PFF post before I realized that it was only Wednesday. I'll be ready for tomorrow!

Janie said...

Utah has an Oktoberfest every year at Snowbird, a ski resort near Salt Lake City.
I didn't know the origins of the festival. Interesting postcard!

Lowell said...

A horse race? Hmmm...I've been to a few Octoberfests in the U.S. and have had a good time, although I don't remember any horse races...I do remember some people drinking enough beer so they resembled the south end of a horse heading north, though!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

i particularly love the rich colours and sense of movement on this postcard.
Evelyn in Montreal

Maggi said...

What a fun card! The German restaurant up the street is humming with the Oktoberfest celebrations!

Sparky said...

That was great! :)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

A horse race! I wonder when that part got lost along the way.

I'm posting early - early for me anyway, because I'm going to be away for a week visiting family in the south of France. I'll try to keep in touch!

JamaGenie said...

So Oktoberfest began as the wedding reception to end all wedding receptions? How interesting! Love the postcard!

Postcardy said...

I posted some Oktoberfest postcards too.

Weng said...

This postcards reminds me of the upcoming Oktoberfest celebration here in the city ... am sure it'd be loads of fund.

peggy gatto said...

I just love german folk music!!!
My postcard is 5"x6".
I had some fun with American Gothic, by Grant Wood.

Christine H. said...

This is great! I have a friend in Munich who wanted to see an old Oktoberfest postcard. I'll send her here.

Robin said...

I love this postcard!.....so much color....so alive....

Have a beautiful weekend

claude said...

I know Oktoberfest, Marie. On last October 2008 our german friends come here to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first encounter between tow boys, Dieter und Ronald and my Chéri in Germany. They bought beer and food. Meike, Dieter's wife and und Ronald cooked for us. We did a big Fest as everytime. Prost, Marie !

Pat said...

So that's where the tradition came from. Several of our unattached guests took off for Oktoberfest right after my daughter's wedding...

Paul van Yperen said...

Beautiful card. When I was a child our neighbours always went to the October fest. They always came back with the wildest stories and obviously had drunk to much beer. I prefer wine, and never went there. But I do like a party. Bob

LiT Web Studio said...

Hi Marie! Am so happy to have happened upon your blog and to be able to join the Postcard Fest every Friday!

Cezar and Léia said...

How cool, I think this Oktoberfest is a happy time! Also in South of Brazil we have this kind of celebration!
Beautiful postcard dear Marie!
God bless you
Léia

Unknown said...

We celebrate Oktoberfest too in M'sia - but I have not attended any. Think i have to whisper in someone's ears , it's also about horses !!

Snap said...

With the grandson here this week, I've taken the week off from postcards, but I'm still having a great time looking!

I've passed an award on to you!

Starman said...

Hi kiddo! I've had a small adventure for the past two weeks. If you like, you can read about it here: http://lerevefrancais.blogspot.com/

Aimee said...

A good time and copious amounts of beer...of course it would be a tradition! My husband and I are both of German heritage...our family reunions are always a good time with copious amounts of beer too! :)

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

What a wonderful postcard.Like Janine said,We learn alot from these cards.
XXOO Marie Antionette

Janine said...

Hi Marie,
I have an award waiting at my blog for you.
Have a nice day
Hugs
Janine

maryt/theteach said...

Hi Marie, I've had my post up since Friday but I forgot to sign Mr. Linky! :(