Diaper Changing Mailmen in 1913 - Postcard Friday #41

baby vintage postcard


At least two children were sent via the US Postal Service in 1913!  General Postmaster Hitchcock finally poopooed the practice after being inundated with letters inquiring into how one ships bambinos via parcel post! Here's an actual example:

Postmaster General,

Washington D. C.—Sir: I have been corresponding with a party in Pa about getting a baby to rais (our home being without One.) May I ask you what specifications to use in wrapping so it (baby) would comply with regulations and be allowed shipment by parcel post as the express co are to rough in handling Yours




W
elcome to this weeks Postcard Friendship Friday! If you're visiting and would like to join in the fun we would be thrilled;) It's easy! All you need to do is:

1. Have a blast with this mail theme! Examples include: any type of postcard, a photo of a mailbox, mailman, a stamp image, postcard altered art, or simply a photo of something that you find 'Postcard Perfect' etc etc etc!
2. Link in with Mr.Linky at the bottom of this post
3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what a blog party is all about!
4. Link back to the party from your post so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is talking about today! Please grab the badge if you'd like to add a bit of PFF colour to your post:)
 

32 cool cats commented:

Janie said...

Wow, that's an interesting postcard photo. I can't imagine actually shipping a baby parcel post, but I guess people do many strange things.

Christine H. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Weng said...

For real??!! Amazing ... now I feel so ignorant... lol

~JarieLyn~ said...

That is an amazing piece of historical information. Love the postcard. Wow, could you imagine shipping a baby today?

Diva Kreszl said...

talk about scarring children for life...what were these people thinking???

Postcardy said...

This mailman doesn't look very happy about his special delivery.

Snap said...

Oh, my gosh, Marie! What a card! I had no idea babies were ever mailed! Amazing!

viridian said...

I wonder about the people who apparently knew from experience that the express company was "too rough" (!!!!)

~Cheryl said...

No way! But I guess Fact is stranger than Fiction. Sheesh

peggy gatto said...

This is so interesting, who'd have thought?????thanks for the fun challenge!!!!

jacque4u2c said...

Interesting!!!!!

jacque4u2c said...

Interesting!!!!!

Virginia said...

That's hilarios. Extra postage pour la (le?) poop! :)

steviewren said...

A practice which gave rise to the saying "it's in the bag" no doubt. hehe

MuseSwings said...

I think FedEx is still okay as long as you ship overnight. Another great post! What a hoot!

claude said...

Another version of the stork carriyng and gently dropping a baby !

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

People send (or try to) the most amazing things by post, babies though! Poor little mites.

Pat said...

I had never heard of such a thing! I was thinking the other day of the little green turtles they used to ship through the mail....awful....many died.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha! seriously???

My hubby is a retired Army Aviator, but he also was a postal worker for a time in New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alabama (each time he "left" the postal service to serve for the military). I cant wait to show him this post!

His stories never involved shipping babies, but he has many about the uncanny ability of dogs to sense he was a postman, even out of his postal uniform! haha

Blessings & Aloha!

(dear friend, because of work, I am so behind with reading your wonderful posts! I am sneaking this blog time in, before heading off to work! I will come back after work and go back to all the ones I have missed!)

antiquities said...

Amazing!!...thanks for the fun challenge!!!

Aimee said...

Oh, that's too funny!

Betsy Brock said...

Oh my...I can't believe that! That mailman doesn't look too happy with his package there, LOL! It would be so interesting to know what happened to those two babies...the families that got them and what their lives were like here.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

That is a SCREAM!!!!

Unknown said...

No kidding!!! People do the darnest things but this?

Starman said...

Priceless!

papel1 said...

I put up a link for PFF, nothing to do with mailmen though. Its just been an effort on getting things done around here. That is a great postcard.
Judy

Unknown said...

Oh , lord , can you imagine.....?

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Oh My! That is hilarious!

kanishk said...

I find out where the stork put all those babies, I'm going to call the Post Office. Ooops, you said they stopped shipping babies...maybe UPS? Work From Home

Witchcrafted Life said...

Clearly the stork was on hiatus that week ;D

The snippets of diverse information you share never cease to amaze me, which is all the more reason why I greatly enjoy your wonderful blog!

Have a beautiful Sunday, my dear!
♥ Jessica

Lynn said...

Love this postcard and WOW what a story. You can't ship children now that's for sure :)

HereBeDragons said...

Wow. That is absolutely ridiculous!