A Nasty French King, Jews, and a Finger



The Frenchie bad boy king, Louis IX (1214 – 1270), had a nasty habit of kicking the Jews out of France and stealing their land when he was running low on gold. Crusades are expensive! He also burned about 12,000 manuscript copies of the Talmund. For all of this he was canonized (made a saint) and had a lot of nifty cities named after him. You can visit his finger at the Basilique Saint Denis right outside of Paris. The rest of his saintly bod disappeared during the French wars of religion. Now THAT is horrific history at it's finest. Zoinks!


Click here to read about the pickled heart of Louis VXII.

17 cool cats commented:

papel1 said...

How awful. I think I will skip visiting his finger! The crusades were a horrible time.
Judy

Marie Reed said...

Isn't it ghastly! I couldn't resist posting it though! I'm reading a book on this Louis right now:)

Pat said...

Okay...I'm about to make a baaaad joke. Despite all of those horrible things that he did, he was made a saint, and on top of that, he gave us 'the finger.'

Pardonne-moi, mon amie.

Sparky said...

Sounds more like he gave the Finger to the Jews! Shame on him!

And that's the Catholic church for ya, misreading scripture. The Jews are our friends not our enemy and should be protected at all costs.

LiT Web Studio said...

Glad to see you've started the countdown to Halloween early with a timely monster from the past ;-)

Beth Niquette said...

How horrid of him. Awful terrible! The Jews have been through so much over the centuries. I wonder why they would keep that man's horrid putrid finger. I'm with Sparky--Shame on him!

The Jewish people and Israel are our friends--these people and their miraculous nation should be protected. They are a wonderful wise and shrewd people.

Floss said...

I have a sneaky feeling that this is something that 'accidentally' got missed from my boys' French education! Truth be told, though, they don't completely steer away from the nastier elements of their past.

With the curriculum overload that they had in top year primary this year, my son never got as far as WW2. He was overheard saying to his British granny this summer, 'What, were the British in the Second World War too?'

Wiregrass Steve said...

Sounds like a most unsaintly man to me. No true follower of the Jewish carpenter, Jesus, would do harm to a Jew or anyone else. People are saints according to their standing with God.

Irene said...

I can only assume the pope in charge of making him a saint was and idiot. I'm a Catholic, and I know it is wrong to do bad things to anyone. I know my Jesus would not be kicking the Jews out of anywhere.

Betsy Brock said...

Eeeew!

Minky Moo said...

What a sick bastard! But I would totally go visit his finger. I'm all into the Saints and relics. (even the bastardly UNsaintly ones!)

kanishk said...

I couldn't resist posting it though! I'm reading a book on this Louis right now:) Work From Home

grace said...

what is the name of the book you are reading. Amazing they would make someone like this a saint

dmarks said...

He sounds a lot like the dictator of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez. In speeches, he blames Jews for all of the trouble of the last 2000 years, and earlier in the year he exorted Venezuelan citizens to confront and harass Jews any time they see one.

It comes as no surprise that Venezuela is one of the few countries in the world that supports Iran's efforts to build nuclear bombs.

Lowell said...

And that's a mere drop in the bucket when it comes to the treatment of the Jews by lovers of Jesus.

Miss Rosa said...

Eeek! I'm glad I'm alive now instead of back then.

Brenda said...

this must be a series of postcards...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9teen87/376524846/