Lucky Stork Vintage Postcards

vintage postcards

According to Alsatian tradition, children wanting a sibling can coax the baby bringing stork by leaving a sugar cube on the windowsill! A leggy stork would actually prefer a tasty toad, lizard, fish, or earthworm but it is certainly a sweet idea. I'm off to hide the sugar!french vintage postcards


18 cool cats commented:

Blog Bee said...

That lady in the first pic looks really surprised!

Marie Reed said...

I would be surprised too if a stork showed up with a little bundle of joy.. No thank you Mr. Stork I already have 3!

claude said...

Very nice cards. I saw some storks in Alsace and over here in a field. She stayed a few days before flying away. I suppose she take a rest because the flight to North Africa is very long.

Cezar and Léia said...

I like this idea and mix of sweet adorable things!
Léia :)

LiT Web Studio said...

the expression on her face is priceless!...she looks like she's saying: "really...this has NOTHING to do with me!"

Pat said...

Never heard of that one, but I can see where kids would like to place a sugar cube on the sill....

Sparky said...

What a sweet tradition! ha ha

MrCachet said...

Why Marie! I thought that the stork preferred Straw Hats and Seegars! http://oldpaperart.blogspot.com/2009/09/it-fills-bill-literally.html

thatgirlblogs said...

never saw a real stork before!

Maggi said...

What a cool card! And I love reading about neat traditions like this!

Irene said...

How cute, and you are too funny, hiding the sugar. On our news broadcast this morning they suggested that sugar is the new gold. So go hide your gold.

Janie said...

The lady seems to be saying, no thanks. Perhaps she already has a houseful!

Beth Niquette said...

Hahaa, Marie, THAT is so funny!

Thank you for sharing this--this post is just delightful.

Janine said...

I love storks so much, last year I was in Poland for holidays. In masuren are villiges with more storks than people.
WONDERFULL

Candy said...

Thanks for stopping by recently for my last PFF post. You are welcome to use either on of those sweet gems.
Wednesday Blessings ;-)

Christine H. said...

I had a whole box of sugar cubes and now I can't find them! I'd better check the chimney...

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha! no sugar on our sills...but I'll happily scatter some on our daughter's and son-in-law's :o)

how fun will grandbabies be :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

Loni Edwards said...

What a fun postcard to go with such a neat story! I love it!