Pulchritudinous Postcard

vintage postcard

I found this pulchritudinous pal in a little antique shop yesterday)

Editor: Pulchritudinous? For crying out loud Marie! Would you lay off the Thesaurus already!

Marie: Ha! It means handsome and I don't care if I can't pronounce it:) I like my men in envelopes!

Come join the Thursday vintage thingey fun here!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

51 cool cats commented:

blueberry said...

Hey, I've learnt a new English word! I didn't know pulchritudinous (of course). But handsome he is - except the mustache... in my personal opinion ;)

Have a lovely day
blueberry

Pat said...

I knew the word, but I thought it was more for women! I'm pleased to see that dashing men can be pulcritudinous, too!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

pulchritudinous.. gosh.. my tongue got twisted.. hehehehe but he is one handsome man! Happy VTT

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Marie: I bet you also like your men with flowers in hand. Since it is such a tough word I will never use it.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Sometimes I wouldn't mind being able to put my man into an envelope for a bit ;~)
I live on the seacoast of N.H. about 20 minutes from Portsmouth and about a half hour from Manchester. I don't get into Portsmouth as often as I would like but I plan to go more often this summer.

Robin said...

How funny, I didn't even notice that he was in an envelope until you pointed it out!

Sue said...

And now I too know what Pulchritudinous means lol! Great image!

RA said...

LOL. I was very curious about pulchritudinous, when I saw your post title in my bloglist. I can't even write the word without copy-pasting it ;). I think I will greet my husband with this word when he comes home tonight. Have a wonderful day :)

RA said...

What a pulchritudinous man in an envelope ;)!

Vicky said...

I would much prefer the word handsome to pul... oh, whatever...
happy VTT marie.

Vicky said...

I would much prefer the word handsome to pul... oh, whatever...
happy VTT marie.

Luna from Brazil said...

Hello sweetie Marie!
What a funny idea to keep man in a envelope!May I try it with my "beans"here!?
I think you are soooo lucky to find this wonderful vintage postcard and I'm lucky too because you share it with your friends!
Thanks a lot!
I love your blog and I'm your fan!My sister Marina likes collage and cute stuffs and she's preparing a new blog to show her collages!
By the way so nice that you like McFly!You are really cool!

purrs and love
Luna ;-)

Anonymous said...

I thought it was another word for protruding. I didn't have any technical evidence for that - it just looked like "protrude" and it looks like the guy is coming out of the postcard. lol.

Great find! Thanks for sharing. :)

Coloradolady said...

What a cute postcard. Very unusual. Have a great VTT.

Unknown said...

Now that is such a romantic post card! I love your blog. I immediately went over and click on your "Follow" button so that I can visit often! Please visit and browse for a while; if you like what you see, click the "Follow" button so that we can inspire one another often!

Maggi said...

LOL "Men in envelopes" Classic! This postcard is awesome, one of my favorites so far...it may be because I've always wanted to get a man in the mail. ;) lol

Daryl said...

Handsome indeed and men in envelopes seems to be a good idea .. LOL .. well maybe dont seal them shut

Garden State Kate said...

Love the word and the postcard!

Unknown said...

I hope the man knows it's a compliment! I didn't till now!!

Susan said...

You are so cute--my online dictionary and thesaurus are my constant companions when I blog. LOL. I was prepared to look it up.
Men in envelopes--are there enough of them to replace men in tights?

Lowell said...

That's too cute. I know why you like your men in envelopes: you wrap them up in your charms!

Aimee said...

thanks for defining that! I thought I was going to have to get out the dictionary!

EG CameraGirl said...

The idea of keeping men in envelopes sounds appealing at times, I admit. LOL

Tara said...

He looks very handsome in his envelope! What a find. Did you find any more good looking men on your search?

Robin said...

:-)
I don't care if it is unrealistic....I like the way that sounds.....my men in envelopes.

Have a beautiful day.

Beth Niquette said...

(guffaw) You are SO funny, Marie! I love words, too...and that word fits this postcard!

★Carol★ said...

The perfect man...you can seal his mouth shut! I'm sorry, did I say that? I love this postcard, and learning a new word!

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I knew my Latin classes from high school would come in handy one day. Finally! Love the post card!

The Clever Pup said...

I found an equally pulchritudinous chap while searching my family tree. He belongs to someone else not me. I had to save him in my pictures because he was so unbelievably handsome.

Floss said...

Well, it sounds such an insulting word, doesn't it? If someone described my Ben as 'pulchritudinous' I'd have been quite insulted! But now I know better...

Your envelope darling is kind of the male equivalent of a beauty bursting out of a cake, isn't he?

lorhen82 said...

I've never heard that word before. It sounds like it should have a negative meaning, like putrid! So do you like your men in sealed or unsealed envelopes? Do you seal them with a kiss? ~Lori

Postcardy said...

I like your vocabulary. I thought it sounded like something bad too.

papel1 said...

I am not going to write that word. Never heard it before. I need flowers. You can mail him to me.
Judy

Starman said...

He looks familiar.

Anonymous said...

ill take the envelope and the flowers, hee hee

Shari said...

I love, love , love your blog!! Your collection of Postcards is incredible. Is it OK to use your images in my art cards, etc.? This fine gentleman is inspiring me to create! I'm not sure what your policy is on sharing. Please let me know.
-hugs, shari xo

Jientje said...

I love the word as much as the postcard, and indeed, he IS handsome!
And I can't pronounce it either!

quilly said...

Historically, you are using the word correctly, but in more modern English, the denotation of this word (not what the dictionary says it means, but what people really mean when they say it) implied feminine sexuality and is usually used when describing voluptuous women -- so your application of this word to your yummy card made me chuckle just a bit.

anne said...

Last year I was in museum on an exhibition. There were lots of pulchi... this kind of men:) And women! Let me ask: will women also pulchritudinous or they have another epithet:)?

Pietro Brosio said...

Marie, pulchritudinous of course comes from the Latin word pulchritudo, that is to say beauty.
Have a good evening!

Maytina said...

New word today! Great postcard!

Postcardy said...

Pulchritudinous has been rattling around in my brain for the last couple of hours and I finally figured out why it sounded yucky. My brain was combining putrid and sepulchral yielding a decomposed body.

Veronica Lee said...

Like Robin, I didn't notice he was in an envelope until you pointed it out!

elsa said...

LOL- i had just right clicked and highlighted the word so that i could paste it in to dictionary.com

very funny!

he is a charming fella- what a delightful bouquet he is carrying

your german is pretty good marie

ich wunsche dir viel gluck!
:)

Miss_Yves said...

...du latin "pulcher" ,je suppose !

Donna said...

lol cool post ...cute man too

Sparky said...

He is very handsome. I like the lovely pink tint to the card and flowers. :o)

LV said...

What an interesting post. Join the club as I too am just getting into the blog thing. It is very interesting and you see and learn so much. Thanks for sharing and dropping in on my post.

Bea said...

I love the man in the envelope. Very neat piece.

pchickki said...

This is just the most amusing post card I have ever seen. Do you sell these? I love this one and the one you had on yesterday. Great images!

I would like to get a man in an envelope! Humm?
Hugs
Patti

JEWELGIRL said...

Man in an envelope with flowers???
Could this be a "Dear John" postcard?
The lady would mail this postcard to
a man to say goodbye and take your flowers with you????? Or is this
a true "Male" order husband??
Hope your smiling :) I am.
Jewelgirl