Henry VIII Plants Cherries

cherry vintage postcard

When Henry VIII wasn't busy ruling England, chopping off heads, chasing women, gambling, or being a brute he was ...........planting cherries? Yes! It was good ole Hank who introduced the fruit to England! He had tasted them in Flanders and ordered that they be planted throughout his realm:) PS. All followers of this blog will be automatically entered into my monthly giveaway!



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

39 cool cats commented:

Polly Forns said...

Wow, that postcard with the little girl is beautiful! Henry, Henry. I'm sure glad I didn't live back then. Of course I would have married him :)

SharDon Exclusives said...

The little girl looks so pure & innocent. Love it!

RA said...

The first vintage is my favorite. So beautiful! You've got to be thankful for the cherries. Have a wonderful day, Marie :)

Anonymous said...

yes
i love them cherries also!
wish they werent so darn expensive this time of year

pchickki said...

Oh my gosh! This is the cutest image
Very sweet
Love it
Hugs
Patti

June said...

Love the info my friend and love cherries and love the lil girl image too
Hugs June xxx

Celine said...

Neato! I had no idea!
That little girl is just too precious!

Pat said...

Gosh, even brutes have a gentle side.... I'll bet he spat the seeds at people, though.

claude said...

Nice old postcard. I prefer the first picture.

Jientje said...

I've been following this blog for a while now, and I like what you do. That's why I have an award for you at my place. Please drop in to collect it?

Floss said...

Well, did I know that before, or not? It's one of those facts that I'd certainly forgotten, but it rings a bell! When we lived in North Yorkshire we had a small harvest from the cherry tree in the garden, so his idea clearly worked! It doesn't quite compare to the amount we collect in France now, though!

SouthLakesMom said...

Love those old images. Delicate.

Cezar and Léia said...

This postcard is really gorgeous!
on the other hand this Henry ...hummm he was different! LOL
Great post, good story about cherries!Well done !
Léia

Marie said...

Cute little girl and terrible man with at least one good aspect to his personality. I like cherries too but, like CRY, I don't buy any, for the same reason.

Thank you very much for your comment on my blog. I answered it.
Have a nice day.

Sue said...

Beautiful image! And interesting factoid about Henry!

Betsy Brock said...

What a gorgeous postcard! (the girl...not Hank!) Yes, what a brut!

Lowell said...

Old Hank was something! But I wouldn't have associated him with cherries!

Love the pic of the girl - absolutely adorable!

Have a great day!

Auntie E said...

Lovely indeed. Henry always posing for the picture. What a ham he was,lol. The the little red flowers in the first photo. Just a little color.

Unknown said...

I love cherries too! But like CRY and MARIE, no cherries for me. Way too expensive to eat here!
Have had some when my sis-in-lw visits from Australia. She brings a box.

Susan Cook said...

Wow great postcards. I didn't know that about Henry VIII and cherries.

Thanks for sharing.

Veronica Lee said...

I love the first picture!

Stephanie V said...

Never heard about Henry & the cherries before. Lovely postcard.

Melli said...

Love those cherries! Truly ruby!

Sandy Kessler said...

The artwork and focus - exquisite.

Daryl said...

Ah Henry was a voracious eater and I suspect he had a sweet tooth ..

lorhen82 said...

The image of the girl is so soft and beautiful! I really prefer the Henry in 'The Tudors' series on Showtime! Ooh la la! ~Lori

Luna ( from Brazil ) said...

Meouwww
I want to pose with cherries like that little girl!!!!Maybe mommy could do a beautiful postcard with my picture! ;-)
Always your fan!
purrs and love
Luna

Starman said...

I used to love cherry-vanilla ice cream with huge chunks of Bing cherries.

ChaChaneen said...

I lurve Cherries too! That is interesting, you are just a well of information we have barely tapped into yet!

What are those things on his feet? Slippers?

Catherine said...

Good job ! I need some now, Marie !....

Maggi said...

What an interesting fact, I never knew that! Love the card too!

Robin said...

Great vintage postcards....
Beautiful child....but I love the Henry VIII postcard best....love the intense colors.

Oh and, Marie....I have tagged you over on my blog.
http://robinsbluenest.typepad.com

Hope your day has been beautiful.

Ann said...

the little girl is beautiful..so ethereal. I thought I knew everything about Henry Tudor...you are a living encyclopedia!!

Loni Edwards said...

Hurray for Henry the VIII! I love cherries. The vintage of the girl is fantastic! I love it!

sepiadreams said...

Love the girly postcard-so sweet...Love Tiina...

Clueless in Boston said...

Great postcard. That young girl looks so angelic. Henry the VII was the Johnny Appleseed of cherries in England, who knew.

Miss Ng said...

nice blogs!

Miss NG
www.yourcantonesefriend.blogspot.com
www.ilovehk2.blogspot.com

Debby said...

Oh my gosh, I love the postcard of the sweet little girl, just darling.
debby

Anonymous said...

Lovely postcard. My wife and I took did some Victorian look photos of our girls. With some stretch of the imagination they almost look authentic :-)