Eiffel Tower Free Fall

Franz Reichelt vintage postcard

Franz 'the flying tailor' Reichelt invented this flashy parachute coat in 1912. The fearless and foolhardy Austrian couturier decided to flaunt his invention by jumping off the first deck of the Eiffel Tower. The fatal 60 meter fall lasted 5 seconds and made quite a crater at the bottom of the tower.... There's even a video .
Warning: Eeeeeeeeeeeek!



Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

32 cool cats commented:

claude said...

I'am back Marie !
Poor crazy man !

Witchcrafted Life said...

You would think that after the legend of Icarus, humanity would have got the message that we were not meant to don wings and take to the skies, but alas that hasn't stopped people for continuing to try to fly! ;)


Hope your week is off to a wonderful start, my dear!
♥ Jessica

Anonymous said...

Horrible! Scary! I didn't know about that man! So scary! Thanks!

Candy said...

There are a few wild ones here and there, just to keep it interesting.

Love the story of your battle with your son. Can't wait to see if you learn any secret moves to finally...sink HIS ships.

Boom!
Candy

Reader Wil said...

Poor idiot! I have fear of heights so even looking at this video made me dizzy( sort of). Well thanks for recalling that story!

Frederic said...

I saw this vid when I was a kid (Daniel Costelle : "Histoire de l'Aviation" on TV...) and was terribly impressed by all these crazy pioneers of aviation...

Talking about early 1900s videos, I can only recommend that you pay a visit - if you don't know it already - to the Mitchell & Kenyon collection published by the British Film Institute
http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/mk/

There are about 800 old movies - basically 1901-02 - that all together bring a wonderful insight of British society at the turn of the XXth century... and 70 of them are published on YouTube : lovely piece of memorabilia made available to all of us !

PS : if you have "Google Earth" installed on your PC, just try this link... amazing 3D visit...
http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/mk/The%20Films%20of%20Mitchell%20&%20Kenyon.kmz

Margo said...

so sad. I've never understood this mentality... but I guess if some people didn't have it, nothing would have ever been invented.

Polly Forns said...

YIKES! I don't remember ever hearing about this before! I continue to learn things from this blog :) Might bode well in a trivia game, lol !

Maggi said...

Holy moley! Eeeeeeek indeed!

Veronica Lee said...

Scary!! I have a phobia for heights too and I couldn't bring myself to watch the video.
But thanks for sharing. I seem to be learning something new each time I stop by at your blog.

Carver said...

Gosh that was a crazy idea with fatal consequences. And here I thought I'd done some crazy things.

Lowell said...

Good grief! The video certainly makes it more real! I wonder how many people have died trying a similar trick.

As kids we used to jump off rooftops into snowdrifts and I tried a cape on a couple of occasions, but they never worked.

Daryl said...

Good thing he didnt land on a passerby ....

Cezar and Léia said...

Spooky! What a crazy guy!!!!
Léia :)

Anonymous said...

It's a pity about this man, so crazy!
xx

Kristin - The Goat said...

It seems like he would have tried a doll or mannequin or something first. Then again, maybe he did. People are indeed crazy!

Pietro Brosio said...

Interesting post, Marie, but I feel dizzy just reading this terrible story!!!

Beth Niquette said...

Good HEAVENS!!! Eeeeek! is right! Wow--that is an amazing video. Had not the crazy man ever heard of Icarus? The mythological man who flew too close to the sun?

Makes me wonder if he ever test flew it....

What an interesting blog! I have to admit I was thoroughly intrigued.

Sue said...

OMG He is certainly deserving of a Darwin award!!

tapirgal said...

Marie, thanks so much for the heads-up on the Ruby Tuesday link! I have fixed it. I always love seeing your site!

TheAtticGirl said...

Hi there, following you from MBC. Have a great day.

http://www.atticgirl.blogspot.com

Mia said...

silly silly man :( but if it had worked he would have been a genius :)

Starman said...

Now, that's what I call having the courage of your convictions.

lorhen82 said...

Whoa! I'm not sure what gets into people to try those kinds of things! I kept wondering when he was standing at the top if he waited to try to prepare himself and get his courage up. I think I'll stick to flying in my dreams! ~Lori

Anonymous said...

hey there want to give u the one lovely blog award, for more check out my blog backroom treasures...have a great day!

SILVER said...

hi dear. came by yesterday but had trouble loading. sending you my hugs,

~Silver

oh yeah, love the battleship post. I can imagine your war games with jr..play fair, 'k ;)

Betsy Brock said...

I agree with Frederick...the crazy pioneers of aviation! Poor guy!

Mescrap said...

Is he success at that point of time ?

Miss_Yves said...

incredible !I'd never hear of this ...

cafe au lait said...

That's horrible. First time I've heard about the story. Thanks for sharing.

Kay said...

Oh yikes! Good grief!

The Clever Pup said...

Now that didn't quite work did it. He should have checked the wind first.

I've got some great old postcards of a place in Paris called the Cabaret Neant. Chilling.