Le Pique - Nique

Picnic vintage postcard

The French word pique -nique first appeared in print in 1692:) The verh 'piquer' means to pick or peck. 'Nique' was just a fun little rhyming duplication of the word. I wouldn't mind pecking at that bottle of vintage postcard wine. It's probably very well aged by now! Hiccup!

Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS.

22 cool cats commented:

Witchcrafted Life said...

I want her gorgeous outfit (complete with parasol!) so badly! :)

Beautiful card and fun history of the word picnic, sweetie.


Have a wonderful Sunday,
♥ Jessica

Polly Forns said...

How unique that concept is! I had never heard that before.
Still lots to learn here.
Hugs!

Maggi said...

Oh this is a nice one, I love it!

Vodka Mom said...

Marie- I love it! I want the outfit as well!!!

Sparky said...

Thank [hic] is adorable. Loved the history lesson. So many of our English words are derived from Old French. Pass the wine, would ya dawlink. :o)

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oooh...love the colors in this one! As always, awesome postcard! Thank you for sharing!

Margo said...

how beautiful! Doesn't the man's head look kind of like it's been photo shopped? (ps - the link to me in next post doesn't work, if you want you can add "www." before the .lifeintheshortlane.com It's some blogger thing :)

Luna ( from Brazil ) said...

Adorable postcard!And really romantic, what a nice idea for a Sunday day!
Thanks for the French lesson as well, it is really appreciated!
purrs and love
Luna

Mia said...

What a wonderfull picture, so romantic, and what beautiful colours , that make it even more romantic. I wouldn’t mind a picnic like that :)

Starman said...

Since French winemakers have made their lovely "sauce" the exact same way for eons, the bottle at your local cave is probably just as good.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Awe Marie...I love this one! It's so yummy (for real!)
everything vintage
ps...did you save some of that vintage wine for me??? ;)

lorhen82 said...

Gee, none of the picnics I've ever been on looked that romantic! ~Lori

Clueless in Boston said...

I love the hand painted old postcards. Did you notice the guys button up the side shoes? They look like they belong to Madame :-)

Loni Edwards said...

This is beautiful! I love her dress!

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Ah yesss mon petit - just have one zip of zees and...

MissRedLips said...

how romantic! makes me want to go on a picnic tomorrow!

Terry said...

Hi marie
This was really great information.
I agree the wine should be ready .
It is the season for a picnic.
I thought her clothes were also fascinating.
Old postcards are so much fun.
Blessings of joy to you.
Have a truly wonderful week.
Hugs from Texas

Pat said...

Dejeuner sur l'Herbe, but at least she's dressed! Interesting word origin, but now 'niquer' means something else....

JamaGenie said...

I never thought about the origin of the word "picnic" before! Thanks! Can't imagine, tho, going on a picnic today in the clothes these two are wearing. What a gorgeous card!

Janie said...

Cute postcard, and interesting to learn the derivation of the word. It's fun, just like the activity the describes.

betty-NZ said...

Great postcard! Would love to join them! And, thanks for the background on the word--I love learning little tidbits like that!

RA said...

Very interesting origin! I love to read stories like this. Have a wonderful day, Marie :)