Johnny Quincy Adams' Gator



John Quincy Adams kept a gator in the East Room White House tub! The French aristocrat and American hero of the Revolutionary war, the Marquis de Lafayette, gave him this snapping souvenir. That's my kind of pet!


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

12 cool cats commented:

Pat said...

Well, my goodness. And I thought it was weird that Lautreamont walked his lobster around Paris.

Vodka Mom said...

J'ai vu un crocodile lorsque j'étais en kayak de cet été en Floride! Il a été tellement cool! L'amour de la friandise, et la carte postale!

soulbrush said...

heavens above, thank goodness i have snuffles.

Judy said...

What an interesting tidbit of history! I had never heard this before. I love trivia. Thanks for visiting my recipe blog. Come back anytime and enjoy some southern cooking.

Starman said...

But the problem with a pet of that kind is that sooner or later, you run out of neighborhood pets to feed it.

Sparky said...

Oh my ... I think I'll stick with dogs. :o) They're cuter and safer. Plus they can sit in my lap without me *losing* my lap! ha ha

Come on over to my blog tomorrow. I'll have something for your blog.

Happy New Years!
Sparky ♥ ∞

Anonymous said...

De Adam's Presidential pet
was got from de bayou, I bet.

When de gator jump, don ya know,

it de final presidential veto!

The Muse said...

They say politics is a dog eat dog sport...LOL....guess back then it was even rougher than we thought LOL

Tess Kincaid said...

WT's family is supposedly connected to the Adams, but I can't seem to prove it with a paper trail.

Anonymous said...

There are many other interesting facts about presidents and their pets. For instance, Soviet President Mikita Kruschev gave John F. Kennedy's daughter Caroline a Welsh Terrier as a gift. The dog was named Pushinka and was a descendant of the famous Russian space dog Strelka.

MuseSwings said...

An award awaits you, my dear bloggyfriend!

The Muse said...

good golly you visited me! woo hoo!
LOL And it was and is ...so very appreciated!