The Pickled Heart Of Louis XVII

space

You probably know that the little son of King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette died of tuberculosis in prison. His royal heart was secretly cut out (gulp) during his autopsy and plopped in alcohol. The doctor who did this kept it on his shelf as a curiosity.



Of course nobody actually belived that it was the heart of the young Dauphin. The DNA was fairly recently compared with that of the trimmed hair of Marie Antoinette and it's a humdinger of a match. This little urn is at rest in the Basilique Saint Denis. This vintage postcard lady saw it over the weekend (eeeeek where are my smelling salts)


Enjoy this quirky post? Get future vintage postcard updates sent to you for free! Join by email or RSS

20 cool cats commented:

Katia said...

Oh that's AWESOME (in a totally creepy way). I need to go see it!

Escuela para todos Luz ONG said...

visitanos y comentá como está la educación en tu país

equipo de INclusión Educativa.
www.escuela-inclusiva.com.ar


saludos desde argentina

Vodka Mom said...

Marie-qui est une histoire incroyable! Je ne pourrais pas avoir regardé le coeur. Yuck.

Have a great day!!!

Pat said...

Gee, I've been to St.Denis twice and never saw this... This display must be a bit "ecoeurant"....

M.K. said...

That's just plain OOKIE!! Poor little guy. But very cool that the DNA matches!!

I thought he escaped prison, like in the great movie, "The Scarlet Pimpernel." (haha) Ever see that one?

Marie Reed said...

Poor little guy is right. He was in the Paris Temple prison for 3 years.. for a big chunk of that time he was in solitary confinement in a darkened cell. He was never bathed... his poor beaten body was covered with scars and scabies...

Jane Hards Photography said...

Eeek! That was a icky post, and totally weird.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh dear! That is interesting! So cool what they can prove with DNA testing. Surprised the alcohol didn't mess up the results somehow.

ayamlin said...

Hello marie!
why I wanna go to Frace is reading books about Marie Antoinette.
I'm interested in her story.
Can I ask you something?
I heard her daughter kept living. it means she wasn't killed by anybody.
Did she have children? If she used to have children, it means there are
children of Marie Antoinette!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Eek! I'm with you on this one. I thought the son escaped, see what I know I get my history from movies. This is creepy, but I have to hand it to you for having the most interesting posts! You are so creative and I never know what to expect ~ which I love!

Starman said...

I'd read that somewhere but didn't know of the Basilique Saint Denis.

Sparky said...

Poor little guy. It's a dangerous thing to be born a monarch! I'm glad I'm just a commoner. :o) ♥ ∞

MuseSwings said...

They should have at least let the poor guy eat cake. I've heard about his pickled heart - and I am sending a lovely vial of smelling salts to you courtesy of the good Dr. West.

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh dear, and I thought my St. Lucy eye gouging story was bad! Ick!!

Wow-ee! I am having a severe case of BE (banner envy)!! :^) Fab!

Mescrap said...

Poor little one...

sandy said...

I believe that we all return to earth,and when a life is not complete its like an unfinished symphony we return quickly to complete it but the conditions are not quite right.

ayamlin said...

Hello marie :)
your new blog design is really beautiful!
Are you da desiner?

Starman said...

I like the new layout. Did you design it yourself?

Anonymous said...

Yuck! I think the catholic church did that sorta thing with saints too?

sandy said...

like dionysus, or st Denis, his heart was carried to zeus and reborn?