Meatloaf and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum

This vintage ad reads,''The pleasant and natural chewing helps relieve tension''.... Isn't that an interesting way to toot chewing gum? This seems like the perfect egghead marketing solution for today's stressed out masses.  And.....meatloaf is such a comfort food to boot that this BIZARRE combination seems very relaxing!
 space
Editor:  That's just plain gross!

30 cool cats commented:

~JarieLyn~ said...

This is definitely a bizzarre combination, but maybe it's because after eating the meatloaf, a good piece of gum will freshen the breath.

Unknown said...

Ewww. I don't view that as tantalizing at all. Although, it is a cute Monday Night Football meal idea that would go over pretty well for the guys.

Maggi said...

Very interesting combo for sure!

dizzymslizzy said...

Stranger than fiction, I'd say. I wonder if there were hardboiled eggs in the middle of that meatloaf.

maryt/theteach said...

Ha, Marie! Is that Spearmint gum slices on top of the meatloaf? I know it's not because we used to put cheese slices on top of meatloaf but it looks funny in the ad.

Yes send me your snail mail...

Snap said...

I like meatloaf and I like spearmint, but not like this!

So glad to see you back!

Janine said...

Ha HA, what a great advertisment.

Terry said...

Howdy Marie
I am so glad you are back home .
I did not realize you had been in the hospital. May you always be healthy from now on !!!
Your glowing bubbly comments were greatly missed and Pff must have Marie it is not fun without you .
What a fabulous funny post today.
I never in a million years would have thought about spearmint gum for the after
dinner breath freshner .
I do like homemade meatloaf and well I guess gum would be a good stress reliever if your team was loosing .
I must try this on Monday night football with my guys .
Welcome Back Marie.
Blessings of joy to you .
Happy Trails

Robin said...

Ha!....crazy....you have to love it. :-D

icandy... said...

Hello there, ladybug!!! Miss you and just checking in! Hope that everything is going well for you!
Hugs!
Christina :)

SparkleFarkel said...

Boy, meatloaf and chewing gum! What a roller coaster ride for the tongue buds!

Starman said...

Oh, I thought you meant the singer.

Lola said...

I like meatlof & I like chewing gum but not together!!

Great to see you back!

xxLola:)

PS thanks for stopping by - totally agree with your views!

Cezar and Léia said...

Hi there! Good to see you back posting! Thanks for showing these interesting ads and vintage stuff, it's so cool!
Cezar and Léia

Sparky said...

Yeah, meatloaf and gum!? No way! I like both but not together. And definately sans the football. Yuck. :)

Postcardy said...

That's a disgusting combination. I'm surprised I never saw a football meatloaf before--it looks like fun & I love meatloaf.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Aimee said...

What a strange combination! Makes you wonder who their marketing company was!

Mescrap said...

Glad that you are back !!
Never know that you're in hospital that 2 week. Thought that you are on vacation.

Wish you all the best in the future.

pchickki said...

Very interesting for sure.
Patti

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh!!! Really? haha What genius thought of this combination?

Blessings & Aloha!

Chris Overstreet said...

Coincidentally, it was Meat Loaf who sang "Anything for Gum".

Beth Niquette said...

Good gravy! That is truly bizzare! Gum and meatloaf just DON'T go together!

JamaGenie said...

It's an old (very old) PR trick. Give the public something for free (like a great recipe) and they'd reciprocate by buying your product. There were only so many ways to get the public to look at ads for a pack of gum, so tacking it on to a recipe for Football Meatloaf in the fall was rather inspired in my book. At least gum wasn't one of the ingredients!! (Ewwwwww.....)

Witchcrafted Life said...

Strange combination indeed, but the football meatloaf is sort of cute (if you're serving supper on Super Bowl Sunday!).


Wishing you a beautiful Monday & week ahead!
♥ Jessica

Pat said...

I like meatloaf and spearmnt gum, but somehow, I couldn't enjoy both of them in such close proximity.

My daughter hates meatloaf...where'd she come from?

Unknown said...

How funny. A real stretch to sell gum. Looks like this ad person could never get a job on QVC. I agree though, it might just what we need today.

Karen

Mike said...

Haha...I dunno, I might have to eat some football meatloaf just for the novelty of it!

Lowell said...

I think it's typically funny of so many ads from that era! Madison Avenue was just finding its way!

Oh, I think it's Scotty. But it doesn't matter...Your beaming smile will carry you all the way!

claude said...

The first time I ate a meatloaf not football, Is in america, Larry cooked it while Julia, her kids and me visited the zoo of Salt Lake City. We ate it for the diner but that day we took our diner late in the evening. I took meatloaf twice because it was very good. I could not sleep in the night.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

ewwwww! That is bizarre.