Postcard Friendship Friday #28 - 7 Up!

vintage postcards

Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda was launched two weeks before the Wall Street Crash of 1929! It was marketed specifically as a hangover cure. BLLLLS certainly doesn't have a catchy ring to it. The name was changed to 7 up pretty quickly! I've been sick sick sick lately and sipping 7 up has always helped cure my upset tummy:)


83 cool cats commented:

Maria said...

Funny story, haha! I drank my first 7up when I did not even know what a hangover was :)

Tess Kincaid said...

Hey, that is pretty interesting. I didn't know that's how it got started.

Anonymous said...

I remember that 7-up and/or ginger ale were both considered good for upset tummys when I was a kid. I didn't know about the hangover cure though. I will have to keep that in mind for future reference.

Betsy Brock said...

My mom always gave us kids 7-up when we were sick! Maybe this is why!

Ming said...

That's a cool image. I love old postcards!

MuseSwings said...

Vernor's Ginger Ale was our beverage of choice for upset tummys when I was growing up. Probably, besides being delicious, it was made and bottled in Detroit. M-m-m Lithiated Lemon-Lime! A name like that would surely cause the product to just fly off the shelves.

My Vintage Studio said...

That is funny! I remember my mom giving us 7 UP when we were sick kids...all 7 seven of us! :)

David said...

Marie, I've read that Coke started out as a patent medicine sold in a drug store.

Anonymous said...

David,
Coke actually used to contain an opiate way back in the thirties I think...it was addictive. That is probably why it was sold in drug stores.

soulbrush said...

never knew this, don't ever remember it being good for the tummy. ginger ale was because of the ginger (tip: for seasickness take a packet of ginger biscuits along with you and nibble them on the journey!)

Witchcrafted Life said...

This ad is definitely bubbling with vintage charm, it gets a big thumbs (7) up from me :D


Wishing you a beautiful Friday & weekend!
♥ Jessica

Sheila said...

Sorry to hear you've not been feeling so good Marie. I do hope the 7 Up has been doing its job - not that I'd ever heard of its curative powers before! At least it survived the Crash. :)

Candy said...

Sorry to hear about your sickness, sure hope the 7 Up helps!
Always enjoy your mini history lessons ;-)

Margo said...

feel better, Marie! I'm glad this family could all get over their hangover together. Mom on the lounger is looking a little peaked, and Dad apparently can't get off the floor.

Postcardy said...

My mother gave me 7up and ginger ale for upset tummies and now just the thought of drinking them makes me feel sick!

viridian said...

Marie- I've added my link. More about the Miami Beach of Pvt. Burns.

viridian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandala Michelle said...

So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I wondered where you were since you usually post so frequently. I hope you are feeling better!! I have a giveaway that I created with you in mind so I hope you can check it out.

MuseSwings said...

Great story! Sorry you've not been feeling well! My under the weather drink of choice is Detroit's own Vernor's Ginger Ale.

MuseSwings said...

I just noticed I commented on this story last year too - said basically the same thin. That means it't my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Clytie said...

We rarely had sodas when I was growing up. The only time they were in the house was when someone was sick - 7-UP of course.

Starman said...

Hope you're feeling a lot better now.

Carole said...

Good 'ol 7UP.

The 78-year-old bottling company in downtown Portland closed it's doors in 2002. There was rumor that it was going to reopen at some point, but I don't know whatever became of that. The old rotating sign remains, though is now still.

Happy Friday everyone. It's been a rough week around here but I still wanted to take part. You can see my postcard contribution at my blog. :-)

Aimee said...

I love 7-UP. I even have a great recipe for 7-UP cake!

Blogaire said...

Sometimes I see parents telling their kids "No - you can't have Coke or Fanta but you can have a 7up!"
Either this stuff is GOOD or they have been very clever with their advertising. Love those old ads though - so much better than their modern stuff.
Hope you are feeling better Marie,
have a nice weekend.

BeNotForgot said...

MuseSwings, thanks for the heads-up that this is a "recycled" post! :) Mayhaps Marie is still travelling? But anyway . . .

Since I was not "here" last year, I can say to Marie that I do like this postcard. I always did (and still do) get carsick, and my "magic potion" is ginger ale or ginger snaps (the ginger does the trick).

Thanks again, Marie, for giving us a place to share with each other every week. It TIS fun! V.

steviewren said...

Sorry Marie, with babysitting kids all week I lost track of the days. I forgot that it was Friday and time for a postcard post. Hope your PFF was fantastic. See you next week!

xxx said...

We don't have 7up here, but I have tasted it when visiting Bali and it tastes like fizzy lemonade :)

Actually not a good thing to drink when you're unwell... I think it's all the sugar that creates the appeal :)

best wishes
Ribbon

PS... awesome postcard :)

Terry said...

Howdy Marie
Wow I know I am late ,but happy PFF to you belated :)
I was a little bit busy turning 50
on Friday :0
I am so sorry to hear you have not been feeling well.
A very speedy recovery to you sweetie.
Blessings of healing,joy and all that you need to get back on track again.
7up is a great start :)
Loved the vintage ad.
Thank you for posting and hosting
Postcard Friendship Friday today.
Big hugs
Happy Trails

Lisa P said...

Hope you feel better soon ... thanks for the info, too.

Sugarpie said...

Nice vintge ad, thank you!
7-UP's my only soft drink, mostly because it has the fewest ingredients and tastes so good.
Hope you feel better soon.
My mom swore by it for tummy aches when we were growing up as well.

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

So sorry about your upset tummy. I used to drink 7Up too and ginger ale when I had one. I had no idea it was for hangovers. So the whole 7 and 7 drink is really a preventive?

I hope everyone checks out my not-really-postcard. Mmm the hot guy from Mad Men could be staring at you from your desktop.:)

Paul van Yperen said...

Hi Marie,

Fashionably late as they say, but anyway, happy PFF. Great card and funny story. And I hope you're feeling better now.

Do your kids like 7 up? My sons are totally into Coca Cola Zero, the light coke for boys. It gave them a steel stomach, cause they are seldom ill. It makes you wonder.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

Bob

Starman said...

I hope you're not having a relapse.

Pietro Brosio said...

I used to drink 7up when I was on holiday in England with friends.
:-)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh! Hope you're feeling a lot better!

Can you imagine ordering "Miss, one Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda, please... to go." ...uh, yes, I'd like another Bib-Label lithiated Lemon-Lime , for the road too."

Thank goodness someone was thinking 7-up! (kinda reminds me of why, oh , why didnt I pick a shorter url address? haha)

I want you to know I have a Blog Hug (aka award) for you at my place.

claude said...

I drink Seven up when I am in a plane. I like Seven up but I do not know if Seven up likes me !!!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick - we use Ginger Ale for sick tummies in Quebec, too!
Evelyn in Montreal

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, I am now a fan of vintage postcards!!! I just love coming over and looking at all the beauty you display for us. Have a terrific day.

Duchess xx

ChaChaneen said...

Hi my sweet friend! I hope you are having a peaceful week!

Mescrap said...

Glad to hear that you are recover.
Do take care.

Mescrap said...

Hi, i have problem to add my link -- for the PFF #28.

Unknown said...

Hope you are feeling better! That is some interesting 7-UP trivia. Thanks. I did not know that about that soda. That is definately my beverage of choice when I am feeling ill, too. (that or Sprite...shhhh!)

Oh, I was wondering if you are doing PFF for today (Friday 8/14). I have a post ready to go with a postcard and PFF logo! I won't publish it until I see a new one up. :)

steviewren said...

Missing you! Hope everything is okay.

JamaGenie said...

Marie.... I was surprised to find no PFF this week. Hope all is well...

Geralyn Gray said...

I posted a pff post and came by for mr. linky. I reread your post from last week and realized you don't feel well. So sorry to read that........7-up helps but I guess not all the time. I hope you are feeling better soon...and don't feel like this is any pressure to post pff. Just letting you know you are missed and I hope you feel yourself soon!!!!!!

Snap said...

I always have 7UP when I'm not feeling good. Something about it just seems soothing. Hope you are feeling better soonest! :D :D

I have a postcard -- later today!

Peldyn said...

My mother or Nana also gave me 7-up or coke syrup when I was ill. I cannot drink it now without reminiscing about sick beds.
Feel better soon!

the wild raspberry said...

how interesting...it's so fun to learn the history with all your cards.
have a wonderful weekend~
chasity

Beth Niquette said...

Marie! Are you alright? We miss you this week! I hope all is well with you and your family. ((hugs))

Happy PFF!

Bella Foxx said...

I hope you are feeling better. I went ahead and posted a post card on my blog. But I miss you.

Terry said...

Howdy Marie
I don't know what is wrong but just know you are greatly missed and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Let me know if there is anything I can do !
Blessings to you sweetie.
Hugs from Texas
Happy Trails

JAS-- said...

My grandfather owned a 7Up bottling plant in Houston, TX when I was a little girl. I love 7Up memorabilia. The first bottles were brown and squatty and some objected to the similarity to beer bottles.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I'm sorry you've been feeling under the weather! Hope you feel better soon! 7-Up has been our cure for many years!

(I'm sorry I haven't been around for a while but I've been merging my two blogs into one and it's taking me quite a bit of time.)

Betsy Brock said...

Hey...hope you are alright! I miss your blogging!

Anonymous said...

I have a collection of old cards. Most are 100 years old. I have just recently started blogging about them.
I also have a decent stamp collection that needs a lot of updating.
Very cool site here!

Pat said...

I'm back to visiting blogs again! I too love 7-Up...and it is indeed good for your tummy.

Vodka Mom said...

that was my favorite soft drink growing up!!!

Snap said...

Marie,

We are missing you. I was looking at some of my postcards this evening looking for something for tomorrow. Hope you are feeling better. We are thinking about you.

Mecca said...

I am so glad I found this blog, I love everything about it, the pancake ad is a hoot!
~ Mecca
Ruby Kitten Vintage

oh, here is my Blog The Ruby Kitten Vintage Junket

Miss_Yves said...

Fresh colours to make us drink , on this poster!

Lydia said...

I am worried about you! Miss you! Happy PFF, which today means:
Please Feel Fantastic.

maryt/theteach said...

Marie, do you have a PFF post up for August 21? Mine is up for today (the 21st) come visit! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Marie! Oh, dear, it is two weeks in a row and we havn't heard from you. Last we heard you were unwell. I hope it is not too serious! You are missed! I had a post ready last week and held off until today when I hoped you would be back. It cannot wait so I went ahead and posted it today. I hope you get feeling better soon! Come and visit my blog. I have a post ready for next week, too! :)

GET WELL SOON!
~TattingChic ♥

MuseSwings said...

Marie! I hope you are well - I miss you and wait for your return!

Irene said...

So sorry to hear you are not well, keep on drinking that 7 up.

JamaGenie said...

Where oh where is our Darling Marie???

Terry said...

Howdy Marie
It's Friday here in Texas and boy hidy Am I missing you !!!!!!!!!
I hope you are getting better.
I really do miss you Marie .
Your love and humor are greatly missed Friday is just not the same anymore..
Take care my young friend and don't forget to keep in touch .
All my best to you and yours.
Blessings and hugs
Happy Trails

SparkleFarkel said...

Here's hoping the road to recovery finds you in the fast lane! And is Mr. Linky sick, too? (Says it's already closed-- not accepting anymore PFF participants. I'll be back later to see if it's a "go.") Get well to you AND Mr. Linky!

P.S. In the meantime, here's a link to my today's postcard blog:
http://sparkle-soup.blogspot.com/2009/08/me-and-my-shadow.html

Thanks!

Maria Berg said...

Missing you, where are you and how are you,? MB

Postcardy said...

Happy PFF wherever you are. Hope you are not still sick.

Vicky said...

Hello Marie,
I have not been playing at PFF for a few weeks now,sorry to hear that you are sick and I hope all is well with you, take care and God bless you.

I used to drink 7up here in Malaysia when I was young but now no longer available in the market instead we have something similar called Sprite.

Carole said...

Obviously I'm not the only one wondering what has happened.

I had posted a card last week before checking here and realizing that there wasn't a PFF post. So, whenever it comes around again I'll probably repost that card.

I do hope everything is alright.

I hadn't caught that this post goes back to 2008 until I read it in the comments.

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Great fun fact, Mary. So sorry to hear you are not well. I hope you are feeling better soon. <3

Pietro Brosio said...

Hello Marie, I really hope you are not sick but on holiday!
See you soon! :-)

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello sweet Marie!
What is happening? I'm so worry about you. I hope everything is okay with you!
All my prayers and purrs from little Luna
Léia

Bonjour Luxembourg

Mandala Michelle said...

Sweet Marie, where or where is my sweet Marie? I hope you are doing better. Looking forward to hearing from you when you are well. [[[[hugs]]]]

Margo said...

MISS YOU ! :) xxx ooo

SharDon Exclusives said...

Missing you!!! Just wanted you to know.
Sharon

claude said...

Hi Marie ! Is all right ?

Unknown said...

A story I didn't know - here's to 7 Up! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Yay! Sooo good to hear you'll be back & rip-roaring ready to go... You have been badly missed! (ok, not to be pushy at all... so definitely take your time...we will be waiting patiently :o)

You can not imagine how many times I have clicked over check to see if you've posted just to see how yo are doing or anyone has heard anything.

so I hope you dont mind me commenting, just to say it was so good to hear you are doing better... (cuz I know many others probably are doing what I did...kept popping in to see....)

WE sure missed YOU!

Blessings dear friend!!!

Daryl said...

I am SO missing you ...