A Flying Vintage Blacksmith



Here is a darling vintage winged blacksmith for you! The term 'smith' originates from the word 'smite', which means 'to hit'. The black color comes from fire scale, a layer of oxides that forms on the surface of the metal during heating. This anvil isn't made out of iron though. It looks like it's been sculpted from white chalky stone! french vintage postcards

17 cool cats commented:

Floss said...

Too cute! Thanks for the useful info - I was a 'Smith' before we got married! My mum was fond of quoting the Village Smith poem: 'The Smith, a might man is he,' whenever my father did something helpful.

Betsy Brock said...

I've always wondered why some people's last name of Smith was pronouced with a long 'i'..now it makes sense!

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello sweet Marie!
This little cherubim is so lovely, also I loved the light blue in all and the feeling of love around him!
Beautiful card!
Léia

Beth Niquette said...

What a lovely postcard! And the history lesson is fabulous. I love your blog, Marie--I always come away having learned something I did not know before.

Wonderful!

Sparky said...

That's adorable! :)

Starman said...

Cute and interesting post.

Janie said...

Such a cute little guy. I never realized Smith came from smite!

claude said...

Nice cherub and very interesting.

Pat said...

Hey! It says "...New Year" in Russian on the card in someone's scripty hand.

Cute card, but what is he forging for the New Year?

Unknown said...

Floss, gosh, it's been a long time since I heard The Village Blacksmith poem.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

My hubby's grandpa was a blacksmith...old school disciplinarian too... his kids knew what his great big hands felt like on their backsides when they were naughty :o)

You always have such Fun facts!

Blessings & Aloha!

claude said...

Marie, yesterday evening I watched on the TV a report about Guedelon. I was thinkg of you.

LiT Web Studio said...

once again, a lovely card...my great-grandfather was a blacksmith...

maryt/theteach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

My husband laughed when he saw this one.
He has a traditional forge in the backyard and uses it to recreate medieval style swords. He's always complaining that he needs an apprentice in there with him so I showed him your card!
Evelyn in Montreal

Mike said...

That kid looks so cute with the tools and everything. Nice one.

dizzymslizzy said...

Marie Isabelle,
Too darling for words! I wonder what the little angel is smiting.