The Catacombs of Paris - Postcard Friday #43



Ghastly, gruesome, ghoulish, grim, grisly.... These adjectives effectively describe this 'Catacombs of Paris' vintage postcard Yes, those walls are made out of stacked skulls! The labyrinth of Roman gypsum quarries lurking under the city of lights was turned into an ossuary for the simple reason that there was no room left for the newly dead in the small medieval cemetaries within the city. Mass open graves filled with rotting corpses had been the only solution for years. (blerkkkkkkk) The problem obviously needed a solution. The skeletons of six million Parisians, the combined dead of 400 years, were transferred by horse and cart to the underground boneyard at night for two years. Is this topic Halloweeny enough for you?  Halloween vintage postcard




W
elcome to this weeks Postcard Friendship Friday! If you're visiting and would like to join in the fun we would be thrilled;) It's easy! All you need to do is:

1. Have a blast with this mail theme! Examples include: any type of postcard, a photo of a mailbox, mailman, a stamp image, postcard altered art, or simply a photo of something that you find 'Postcard Perfect' etc etc etc!
2. Link in with Mr.Linky at the bottom of this post
3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what a blog party is all about!
4. Link back to the party from your post so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is talking about today! Please grab the badge if you'd like to add a bit of PFF colour to your post:) 

33 cool cats commented:

Postcardy said...

Sounds like one of those cases where truth is stranger than fiction.

Susan Demeter said...

I would love to have that postcard, and better yet should I ever visit Paris I would LOVE to have a tour of the catacombs! Definitely Halloweeny enough :)

Anonymous said...

Sue, really?? Sorry, I'd be creaped out. Knock yourself out though.
OK, I should talk. A haunted antique shop is more my speed. Heard about one on the internet. Thinking of visiting it on my 50th in January.

Aimee said...

Walls of skulls? Really? Yes, I'd say that's halloweeny enough for me! Great Card!

Tussy said...

Good match to Halloween times!


My Bangkok Through My Eyes!
You got a Posty: I want to give 15 postcards :)

Clueless in Boston said...

Good topic for Halloween, if one is so inclined towards the gruesome. I'll stick with the little neighborhood ghoulies who come seeking little treats. Happy Halloween, think chocolate.

Karen said...

Very spooky image! My postcard collection is on food and food history - I'd love to have found a Halloween card to post, but haven't so far! :)

MrCachet said...

Yup! It's way too over the Eiffel Tower for me!

Janie said...

Pretty ghoulish, and definitely stranger than fiction. Good Halloween post, though.

grace said...

What a creepy post card, I would love to see it, but still oh my so creepy

Unknown said...

So so creepy! Happy Halloween!

MuseSwings said...

Delightfully Halloweenie my dear! The City of Frights!

Paul van Yperen said...

Great Halloween card. I love it.

Pat said...

Well, yes, it sure is for Halloween. I have never been to the catacombes, despite having lived in Paris for years and having gone there several times since. I really have to do that next time.

Sheila said...

I never did visit the catacombs while I was living there. A little too spooky for me!

Linda said...

YES, VERY Halloweeny! :) Creepy and cool.

Hope you have a great weekend,
Linda

Sherrie said...

Hi Marie,
Great postcard!! It is kind of scary, but not too bad. Have a great day!!

Sherrie
A View of my Life

AnitaNH said...

Absolutely perfect! Had such fun participating last week I had to come back.

Maggi said...

Oh wow, that is sooooo creepy! And it probably smelled really really bad...

Starman said...

After all these years, I've never been interested in seeing it.

LiT Web Studio said...

oooh! that's such a creepy post for halloween! rome's ancient catacombs are also pretty spooky...

Cezar and Léia said...

wow Happy Halloween!This post is in perfect mood for it! :)
Cool
Léia

Snap said...

Definitely Halloweenie enough for me!

Beth Niquette said...

Egad. What is even more eerie is that when one looks at these skulls, one must realise there is a human being and a life behind them.

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeek! I bet THAT place is haunted!

Christine said...

I've never been interested in visiting the catacombs, but I do find it interesting that they exist. I guess it's a good thing they used the catacombs, otherwise the City would be one big Pere Lachaise.

Blogaire said...

Interesting place but I would be much too scared to go there, even if it wasn't Halloween - I'll stick to Paris' other attractions on my next visit!

AJ said...

I visited the catacombs a couple of years ago its like nothing ive seen or experienced before.. big shame it was shut to the public indefinatley last month due to vandalism.

claude said...

My moyher gave me some old postcard my grandpa sent my Parents.

claude said...

Old postcards af Paris.

Clytie said...

Wow. Creepy. Perfect for Halloween!

Peldyn said...

blerrrkkk is right! I can imagine it is very creepy down there.

Mike said...

That looks really cool. Its like as creepy - maybe even creepier - than St. Gregory's hole I saw when I went to Armenia this past Summer.

Mike said...

That looks really cool. Its like as creepy - maybe even creepier - than St. Gregory's hole I saw when I went to Armenia this past Summer.